Saturday, August 22, 2020

Mike: Vampire Watcher

This is a Twilight fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.


This is a drabble. Feel free to make a request or two.

Like I had been for the past five minutes, I was staring intently at the same math problem. Maybe if I looked at it for another few hours I'd be able to solve it. But I couldn't wait that long as I still had the rest of my math homework to worry about. Plus my bedtime was in just a few hours.

Just as the numbers started to make sense my mind wandered to the Cullen family. Nearly everyone in Forks knew that they were not human as they didn't blend in well. Nearly everyone could tell that they thought they were hiding what they were. A fewer number of people, like myself, knew that they were vampires.

All you had to do to discover what the 'Cold Ones' were was talk to a young member of the nearby Native American tribe. They weren't supposed to tell people outside of their tribe about the 'Cold Ones', but most thought their history a myth. And what was so wrong about telling people spooky stories?

Now while I'm pretty sure there were dangerous vampires in the world, the Cullen family was a peaceful group of the creatures. All they cared about was playing human and the 'father' was a very skilled doctor. But you can't truly believe that a vampire will never kill and so a group of us, known as the Vampire Watchers, keep track of the Cullen family.

Right after I solved the problem that had been bothering me, the phone rang. Good, I'd have a little break for the extremely hard homework that was nearly finished.

"Hey, Mike." Jessica said in a too cheerful voice. "How you doing?"

"The usual." I replied. "Math homework is kicking my butt yet again."

The people brought into the Vampire Watchers had to fulfill two requirements: they seemed to be getting too close to the Cullens and they were able to keep quiet about what they knew.

The moment Jessica had started falling for Edward, the Watchers had made sure she was strong enough to keep her mind quiet. It had been an accident that we had noticed Edward reacting to one of our thoughts before we knew exactly what the Cullens were. We didn't know if the others had the same ability but we weren't taking chances.

Once the Watchers made their decision it had been me that had brought her into the fold.

"You getting with me isn't just because Bella told you no, right?" Jessica asked. "You sure that in a few weeks you won't try to get in her pants again?"

All of us Watchers had decided to keep a very close eye on Bella. She had arrived in town and so didn't know the danger the Cullen family posed. So we had watched to see if she made the smart decision to stay away from them. Unfortunately the girl was more than a little interested in Edward Cullen.

"No, I don't have a chance with her." I said and pretended to be distraught. "She has eyes only for that freak Edward. There is no way she would want to be with anyone else now."

Now Jessica knew that my compassionate heart would not be enough to lure Bella away. And since she wouldn't stop obsessing over him, there was a danger she would reveal the secrets of the Vampire Watchers.

Since my friend knew how pained I was about not being able to save someone, she started talking about normal stuff. She talked about the upcoming dance and some recent gossip. Talking about such things calmed me and made sure if any Cullen was around they wouldn't pick up anything important from us.

Yet no matter how much I tried to focus on small talk, I couldn't stop thinking about Edward and the rest of his family. If I could somehow kill all of the Cullens, Bella would be safe. Yes she would be sad and there would still be vampires that could kill her. But as the years went on she would realize I had made the right call. As for the other vampires, there must be humans capable of killing them.

The Vampire Watchers could become the Vampire Hunters to protect all of humanity from their ilk. Maybe some humans even had special abilities to fight them.

No comments:

Post a Comment