Saturday, December 3, 2022

Update: To Die For You If Need Be Chapter 23 Has Been Written

I've finished writing the latest chapter of To Die For You If Need Be and will start editing tomorrow at the earliest. All depends on how well I'm doing.

Here's a small unedited excerpt of what to look forward to:

There was an awkward silence and I guessed that Meera was still worried about Bran. In truth I was too. My brother was back and yet something was missing. I just couldn't figure out what. His humanity? His childhood? Something else?

"Bran has changed." I said to break the silence. "It's hard to think of him as the same person. I love him because he's blood, but I don't know who he is anymore. He talks about being the last greenseer, but I'm not sure what that means."

"He went into that tree and learned from this...man." Meera said with a shiver. "He can see any place in any time. It's as if the boy I met has died."

"He is still in there. Something of him remains. My brother is still alive."

"It's hard for me to believe that."

What if whatever Meera brought back wasn't really Bran? Was this boy masquerading as my brother a friend or foe? To ask him was both cruel and a poor strategy. If he was an enemy it wasn't good to let him know I knew. If he could see all of time then he already knew I knew so any attack would have to be somehow hidden from him. If he was still my brother it would be cruel to tell my doubts to him. He had already suffered enough.

"He's more himself when you're with him." I said. "If you were to stay in Winterfell, it might help him remain human instead of whatever a greenseer is."

A light snowfall started and I worried there was no saving Bran. There was no saving me. Both of us had been forced to change in order to survive. We were far cries from who we were before, but at least we were alive.

"I don't know if me being with him helps all that much." Meera replied with a sigh. "He...he's not the same person. How he talks and thinks has changed too much. He doesn't look at me like he once did. I'm just another object to him now. The fact I saved him isn't something he considers important. I could be brutally murdered and he wouldn't bat an eye."

No comments:

Post a Comment