Saturday, July 10, 2021

The Watcher (Mini-Review)

Paid Promotion
The Watcher is a book by D.K.Golden and is the first in a series. The book tells the story of James "Jim" Nightingale who has the ability to astral project. After a fateful car crash his eyes are opened to a great and terrible world. While Jim is having his own revelations, a great evil intertwines its fate with his family's.

This book involves astral projection which I have done once or twice. Like Jim in the beginning of the book, I never intentionally left my body. Unlike Jim, though, they weren't pleasant experiences for me. As this post isn't about me, I won't bore you with the details. Back to the review...I found the early scenes of Jim leaving his body extremely fun.

Daystar is the main antagonist of this book and a highly entertaining one at that. There is something about a villain who is just plain evil that is enticing to me. Maybe it's because I always second guess myself in life so it's nice to see someone who is so sure of what they have to do. The one problem I have with him is that his need to rape could've been done so much better. It's explained that Daystar can become overwhelmed by the body he takes over. Yet the book, except for possibly one time, doesn't clearly connect the rape with Daystar being overwhelmed by a human's libido.

Jim has two possible love interests. The first is Sandy Taylor who is a goth girl that he helped before the book started. It's also the reason he is being chased in the beginning of the book. The other is Becky Dillard who is the daughter of Richard "Rick" Dillard, a secondary antagonist of the book, and is as kind as she is popular. So, of course, I wanted him to choose Sandy as I connected more with her. But after she is possessed, I didn't want her to get with Jim. This due to the fact it's never made clear of how conscious she is and if she wants to date him.

The author did a good job with setting up the world his series takes place in. There are angels and demons but not as they are in the bible. Jewish heritage is important and brings one character into the sights of Daystar. There are many things that are revealed in this book but there is so much more to be explored. Jim's grandfather is one of the most knowledgeable characters but he doesn't reveal anything for a long time. Characters like Daystar aren't too interested in revealing great truths to many people.

One of the most interesting and revolting characters is Mr. Swift. I am triggered by rape so the fact he is known to kill people and rape them makes some of his scenes...I didn't focus too intensely on some scenes because I couldn't handle them. So how can he be so interesting? His connections to the world Jim can go to is something I can't wait to be explained. There has to be some reason great evil has shown interest in him.

While this book has a more than engaging story with interesting characters, it takes a little bit to get going. In the beginning you are told the history of the town and various characters between the plot. So I felt that it was too slow paced. But I am glad that I stayed with it.

And the ending...it is a killer of a cliffhanger. Characters are either in dangerous situations or about to be in them. So all I wanted to do after reading this book is get started on the sequel. I wanted to make sure that the characters I cared about had a good fate ahead of them.

I would recommend The Watcher by D.K.Golden to those looking for a good supernatural thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment