Thursday, July 15, 2021

Exploring The Betrayal (Part 1)

Welcome to a brand new series that hopefully won't die a silent death! The Exploring series will focus on me going through various books chapter by chapter. Sometimes the books will be ones I have read in the past while at other times the books will be new to me. The Exploring series will be in the same general vein as my Animorphs Re-Read one.

If you're wondering why I stopped that series: I can't remember exactly. I just know that at a certain point it became tedious for me to get new entries out and I was doing other projects concerning the Animorphs series. So I guess since it just seemed unneeded at a certain point, I stopped it.

So what will be the first book I tackle?

The Betrayal by R.L.Stine. This book is the first of The Fear Street Saga which explores the history of Shadyside. That town, of course, is central to the Fear Street series.

I chose this book because I'm really liking the Fear Street Trilogy on Netflix and wanted to check out the books.

Now I'm not making any promises of doing other books in either The Fear Street Saga or the Fear Street series in my Exploring series.

Now let's get started with The Betrayal!

THE BEGINNING...

This part looks so short so I'm going to assume this is an excerpt from later on in the book.

Susannah Goode is yelling about something being unfair. If this an excerpt from later on in the book, it is highly effective at drawing my attention. I really fear what will happen to this person as this is a horror book that is supposed to show why the curse was first laid on what would eventually become Shadyside.

It turns out that Susannah is yelling because officers are dragging both her and her mother out to prison. And the two people being dragged out have a crowd. So, yeah, not exactly their day.

The person in charge of this arrest turns out to be Benjamin Fier. He says that both women will die before the week ends. So it's pretty clear that the two women are being charged with witchcraft. And as with places like Salem: it is pretty likely the two women aren't witches but are being targeted for some purpose.

VILLAGE OF SHADYSIDE 1900

After a look at the Fier Family Tree we come to this part. This part of totally and utter happiness. If you think the key to a good time is an ominous fire burning down a mansion. I guess Nora Goode doesn't consider it a good time especially as people are screaming inside the house.

The Fier Family has changed their name to Fear. This can be told by the mansion being called the Fear mansion and not the Fier mansion.

Nora is terrified of the burning mansion as everyone she loved is inside of it. She calls for someone called Daniel Fear so I'll take a stab and say they are lovers. She asks him when he is coming out but she probably already knows he's never coming out of the fire.

There's mention of a special amulet Nora is wearing. So that's probably going to be important later on.

So the fire has been burning for over an hour and the Shady-side volunteer fire fighters haven't been able to put it out. I'm going out on a limb here but...I'm guessing that fire isn't exactly normal. It has to be supernatural in origin.

As the fire continues to burn, Nora focuses on the amulet. Though it's now referred to as a pendant. In any case it's all she has left of Daniel. I know this because she cries out that that's the case. So that amulet most likely has huge importance to the Fier/Fear family.

There is a crowd gathered around the burning mansion. I keep wanting to say house because I live in a house. No, wait, I'm wanting to call it a house because the people in the crowd are calling it a house. They also cry out that the fire will burn forever and that the mansion isn't actually burning.

One bearded man declares that he knew the place was evil and that something was bound to happen to the Fear family. Too soon, dude. Too soon.

The other people in the crowd are also really cold towards the Fear family. Some are even glad that the Fear family is finally dead. Which, you know, doesn't exactly help Nora's stress level. Unable to shut out the other people, she runs towards the house. She then asks Daniel what his family did to deserve such a fate.

Nora and Daniel must have been quite the item as she wants to burn up along with him. People notice her and they worry for her safety. Some asking if she is a member of the Fear family. So this family must have been so hated that the only people to associate with them were fellow family members.

She finally gets close enough that she can see into the house. At first she thinks the people inside are dancing in the flames but then she realizes they are twisting in agony. These people aren't burned but are unable to die for some reason.

Nora's attention is drawn to a girl in the middle of the room. This girl has glowing white eyes and the description of her is...not pleasant to say the least. This girl is also tied to a stake. Finally flames consume her and this is such a powerful event that there's a slight explosion.

Yet even with that traumatic sight of nightmare fuel, Nora still continues to stand looking at the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment