Sunday, February 17, 2019

A Flame Extinguished Chapter 18: The Last Targaryen

This is a Game of Thrones fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.  

This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.

I was nervous in my seat next to Jon Stark. More than nervous as it didn't feel right. It had been my hands and words that had committed an unforgivable sin. Yet the gods and my husband were trying to make me feel otherwise. With a single glare, Tyrion reminded me of my place. If I, as a king, was shown to be nervous I would bring dishonor onto Jon.

Ghost sat on his hind legs in front of Jon. Whatever journey the direwolf had been on was over now. The animal was now never far from Jon. And, if he was, it was only for brief hours so that his natural instincts could be released.

Sansa sat next to Jon and Arya sat next to me. Bran sat next to Arya who seemed to be the only one able to communicate with the boy. Most likely due to them being the oddest of the Stark children. Sam, Davos, Tyrion, Brienne, and Gendry sat at one table. The other table would be for Howland Reed and any men he brought with him. All of us were growing nervous waiting for his arrival. A raven had come a day ago announcing when he should be arriving.

Finally Howland came accompanied by twenty men. His men sat while he stayed standing. If he tried to attack us, we would be able to easily defeat him. Or if he managed to be more powerful than we imagined, we would be able to get guards nearby. Arya and Brienne were two of the most powerful fighters I knew. Jon, myself, and Gendry weren't easy to kill either. From what I knew about the man, I hardly felt a betrayal was unlikely. The sentiment was shared among everyone, but we couldn't take any chances.

"Bronn?" Tyrion asked and I turned to where he was looking.
Bronn removed his hood and I recognized him. I had seen him in the Dragonpit where he had taken Podrick to go drinking. The man hadn't appeared to be loyal to Cersei Lannister. A memory of Tyrion talking about the man flashed into my mind. On the road they had been good friends. He had also been the man to briefly shoot down Drogon.

"So I imagine you're not working for my sister." Tyrion asked in a jovial tone.

"I don't find it profitable to serve a mad ruler." Bronn replied. "I want to live long enough to enjoy my fortunes. Howland Reed was a means to an end. He was going to Winterfell which is where you were. I figure the best way to get my castle is by going back into your service."

"This time you will get a castle. I promise."

"As do I." Jon said and Bronn bowed his head.

Howland was silent the entire time. His posture didn't betray any nervousness. I could imagine he was feeling anything but calm. Now was the day he would be revealing a great secret. Now was the day he would either betray Eddard or serve him beyond the grave. Jon and I looked at each other to reassure ourselves. My love would have the final proof of his heritage this day.

"We are happy that you arrived, Howland Reed." Jon started. "Whatever is said here may stay in this room or it may not. In any case the information you have is more than valuable."

"I am sorry for my delay, Your Grace," Howland replied. "I would've been here sooner but I was delayed. Westeros is now at a time of war with the fiercest enemies that have been seen in a long time. The dead have come back and Cersei Lannister now holds the throne. It didn't seem to be a good idea to leave my House without a protector."

"Who is guarding your House while you are away?"

"My daughter Meera. She will make sure that chaos does not erupt in my absence. I had to instruct her before going away."

"And before that you needed to wait for her arrival." I added. "Your daughter was one of the reasons Bran Stark was able to survive beyond the Wall. If not for you I would've lost one of my kin. For that myself and Jon are more than grateful."

I didn't flinch as Howland observed me. Even though he might be wondering if I was a fit king, I couldn't let that bother me. Jon believed in me and had named me his husband. Daenerys had also believed in me. Now it was up to my performance here to show that I was a man to be respected. That no matter the stains of my past, they were gone now. Now I was once again a man with an honorable future ahead of him.

"We meant for Jaime Lannister to be here at this meeting." Jon apologized. "But he is away on a mission for the crown."

"His presence wasn't one I was concerned about." Howland replied. "Jorah's presence does surprise me, though. When I read the letter I thought you had made an error in writing it. I trusted your father and so I trust you with this choice. Even though I don't understand it."

"King Jorah Mormont has proven himself worthy of forgiveness. I have passed my own forgiveness onto him and so have the gods. He has been proven to be Azor Ahai, the only one that can save us."

"Forgive me if I don't believe this by your words alone."

"Jorah has had visions from the late Queen Daenerys Targaryen. Samwell Tarly spent many sleepless nights before confirming Jorah's visions. None of us were going to accept him as Azor Ahai without proof. Even he himself wanted to make sure as he felt himself unworthy of the title. In the battle against Euron Greyjoy and the Golden Company, Jorah used his powers to win."

"Have you spoken to your cousin, King Jorah?"

"I have sent her a letter but have heard no reply yet." I replied. "From what I know of Lyanna's rule, she has made me proud. She has done what I could not. My only regret for her is that I forced her into the position of Head of House Mormont."

I saw Tyrion start to speak and glared at him. For once he remained silent. He knew that we had to be polite to Howland. It wouldn't do to scare him off or make him not feel safe. Though that wasn't likely, it was still important to treat him with respect. He was about to break his silence after so long.

"What happened at the Tower of Joy?" Jon asked. "Did Lyanna Stark have a child?"

"Ned and I defeated Ser Arthur Dayne." Howland began. "Because of the prowess of the man, we had to use dishonorable means to win. We thought, as everyone did, that Rhaegar had kidnapped Lyanna. It didn't make sense if you knew the Targaryen prince, but it had soon become an indisputable fact. Once Arthur was dead, Ned went into the tower. I stood outside as this would be a private moment between him and his sister. Once he came out he was carrying a child."

"Did Rhaegar rape Lyanna?"

"That he didn't. She had loved him and he had loved her. We kept the truth secret for the child's protection as well as Lyanna's honor. Better for people to think Rhaegar kidnapped her than for others to think she loved him."

"And what was the name of this child?"

"Lyanna named him Jaehaerys Targaryen. But, to keep him safe, Ned gave the child another name and paraded him as a bastard. Jon Snow was the name given to the child. You are the child of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen."
There was silence in the room. While Jon appeared strong I could see beneath his armor. He had wanted to believe that his true heritage was a lie. That Sam and Bran had both been mistaken. Howland hadn't come just to prove to others that Jon hadn't been born a bastard. He had come so that Jon would have no choice but to believe.

He turned to me as if I could say anything against Howland. Yet with his eyes that begged me, I was forced to observe Howland. The man didn't look nervous or afraid his lie wouldn't be bought. He was relieved after hiding the truth for so long. A warmth in the man seemed to be radiating through his limbs. Once Howland left the Great Hall, he would be a new man.

"Do Your Graces doubt me?" Howland asked and looked at Jon.

"There is no doubt in our minds you are telling the truth." I replied. "It is just difficult for a man to accept his past was a lie. It takes a strong man to just accept such a harsh truth. Jon has known this truth but it is a hard one to be reminded of."

"Who told you?"

"Samwell Tarly found the document of Rhaegar and Lyanna's marriage. Bran Stark used his greensight to see their union and Jon's birth."

Rhaegal and Drogon's roars could be heard. One of Ghost's ears flicked as he briefly focused on the dragons. Howland and his men tensed briefly. He must not have seen them on the way to Winterfell or else he was still entranced in the deadly beauty of the creatures.

"What do we do now?" Jon asked. "Does my true heritage really need to be revealed?"

As Jon was a Stark more than he ever would be a Targaryen, I could understand his insistence on not being referred to by his father's side. If he had been more of a Targaryen than he wanted to admit, he wouldn't have minded ******* Daenerys Targaryen. A woman who had been revealed to be his aunt. Yet the truth tainted his memories of her. Though, as was his way, he didn't blame either of them for their brief union. In some ways he looked on their union with fondness.

"My Targaryen heritage shouldn't be used to solidify my claim on the Iron Throne." Jon continued. "I have risen from my status of bastard to the title of King of the Seven Kingdoms. Stating my true heritage would just be redundant. Besides, maybe it is time for House Targaryen's claim to the Iron Throne to be a thing of the past."

"Even when Robert Baratheon dethroned House Targaryen, he didn't do so purely on his own merits." I pointed out. "They indicated the Targaryen blood that ran in his House as a reason he was the rightful king of Westeros. The simplest way to show you are the rightful ruler of Westeros would be to bring up your Targaryen blood. Unlike King Robert, you are a legitimate Targaryen heir."

"There has been no mention of Targaryen blood in Cersei Lannister."

"Cersei has something you will never have." Tyrion chimed in. "Which is a good thing. Unlike you who have built followers from trust, she has built followers from fear. People are too terrified to question where she came from as that might be the last thing they ask. Besides fear, she is the wife of a former king. She is also the mother of two former kings whose wife is no longer alive. You can't replicate what Cersei has done, nor do I think you'd want to."

Jon looked defeated but did not argue. Once this meeting was concluded I would comfort him. I would remind him that this shouldn't bother him. His world had been turned upside down but he could continue to be strong. He hadn't lost focus once he'd found out the truth. He could continue to be strong until after the war. And then...then he could fully focus on how he would honor his Targaryen side.

Jon had been adamant on taking the name of Jon Stark. After the war, though, that might change. The word of his heritage might come out and he would be forced to embrace the House he didn't relate to. With Ghost by his side, no one would ever be able to forget his Northern upbringing.

"You have gained the respect of the North." Howland said, breaking the silence. "You rose far above your status of bastard. You didn't need any title to do so. If the North has faith in you, they will follow you even after learning the truth."

"That is a good sentiment, Howland," Sansa replied. "But us Northerners can be a hard lot to please. We finally gained our independence from the Iron Throne after the former King of the North, Robb Stark, fought for it. We now serve the crown but at least a Northerner is on the Iron Throne. How do you expect us to react when Jon's blood is revealed? How do you expect us to react when it's been revealed we've been serving a Targaryen this entire time?"

"I don't imagine everyone will be happy. Nor do I think Jon's rule will be without whispers of rebellion. But I do expect most to come to their senses when they remember all Lyanna's son has done for them. Him being raised a Stark should help quell some of their fears. Unless they want to blame Ned for raising him as a Targaryen."

No one would blame Lord Eddard for betraying the North in such a way. Not one person in the Great Hall said anything to that theory. Eddard had left himself a proud legacy that no one in the North would help destroy. Even those in the South still had fond memories of the men. The world would not soon see the likes of him again. Though Jon did an honorable job at being like Eddard.

Tales of Jon being romantically entangled with Daenerys hadn't been kept secret. They flew on the wind to the point that they could be a problem. The smart thing to do would be to pretend Jon had broken off the relationship. So the North could tell tales of their king being able to sense incest even before it happened. Or the tales could be fabricated to the point he had never consummated his affections for Daenerys. Though it was likely my love would find such deceit dishonorable.

"What do you think I should do?" Jon whispered into my ear.
Jon was depending on me to be his strength. I had been Khaleesi's strength and now I would be his. I would offer up my advice so he could make the right decision. Or as right of a decision as he was currently capable of. The truth was that telling people Jon was really Jaehaerys Targaryen could make them upset. Though the thought of a rebellion against him didn't seem likely. If he survived this war then more people would be thankful for his help.

"It is dangerous telling people the truth of your heritage." I whispered into his ear. "Yet it is one you can take. The North may be disturbed for some time but the thought of open rebellion against you doesn't seem likely. You have already built up a wealth of allies."

Jon paused a moment and then nodded. He looked at everyone in the room. Ghost started to walk around which left most nervous. This creature was the symbol of House Stark and seemed to be an extension of Jon at times. Except for the sound of the direwolf's feet, the room was silent.

"There is a great risk in revealing the truth." Jon said as if he weren't disturbed. "Yet it is a risk that can and should be taken. If I hold onto my shame for too long it could damage my reign. Others could use it against me as a reason to start yet another rebellion. I will always be a Stark of Winterfell and the blood of House Targaryen will be something I own."

"And how do you plan to reveal that you are Jaehaerys Targaryen?" Sansa asked.

"Lyanna Mormont has been one of my most loyal allies. If she doesn't withdraw her support after learning the truth, no one will. She was the only one to lend her support to retake Winterfell. She was also the one to get me named King of the North."

"I will send the raven out as soon as this meeting is over."

"I don't think there is anything more to discuss." I replied. "The purpose of this meeting was to get confirmation on Jon Stark's heritage. We have that as well as a plan for what to do next."

"This meeting has ended." Jon said.

Once everyone but Jon and Ghost had left the room, I fell back into my chair. All the fear I had been repressing came to the forefront. Soon enough I would become exhausted yet sunset was far away. To retain my honor would require me to stay away. Besides honor there might be things I would need to do.

"At least I've already sent a letter to Lyanna." I said when Jon turned to look at me. "The news you have taken me won't come as a total surprise."

"I am sorry I haven't sent the message of our marriage out sooner." Jon replied.

"I understand why. Sending out so many ravens for the sole purpose of stating your union would be wasteful. This is a time of war and we should send only the most necessary of messages."

Jon nodded. Me sending a letter to my cousin was a family affair. it was me reaching out to someone I hadn't talked to since my exile.
"Has she replied?" Jon asked.

"No." I replied. "But I didn't expect her to. I have done a great wrong. My father gave you our ancestral sword as he had given up all faith in me."

"Jeor Mormont would be proud of what you've done. You're not the man my father talked about."

We got out of our chairs and embraced each other. Our lips and hands reassuring each other about the future. Reassuring each other that a good future awaited both of us. After we had calmed down, we simply embraced each other. Ghost started whining as if he was in need of attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment