Sunday, September 11, 2022

Update: A Curse Chapter 5 Has Been Written

I've finished writing the latest chapter of A Curse and will start editing tomorrow at the earliest. All depends on how well I'm doing.

Here's a small unedited excerpt of what to look forward to:

"Why does only Seitou have a personal guard?" I mused.

"He's the clan leader." Jeor replied. "If he dies then the clan could turn to chaos."

"Kaliforna is his wife and, therefore, would take the role of leader once he passed."

"While she has moved on from being confined by a Tundra's mind, I don't know if most of the clan would follow her. They may question her decisions at dire moments."

"He should declare an heir, then. I have seen firsthand what chaos can ensue when a heir isn't properly chosen. Blood and civil war soon follow a contested ruler."

"Who would you choose?"

Who would be the right fit to lead the clan after Seitou passed? The Wildclaw had such a unique way of viewing the world that it was impossible to think of someone else leading like him. Or maybe the trick was to rule in a way that improved the clan. He was a good leader but there was always room for improvement.

Metis was his and Kaliforna's only child that had been allowed to remain in the clan. The problem with her was that her current duty was to evaluate everyone coming into the clan. It was hard to see her role as leader allowing her much time to evaluate new members. Vornz was deeply loved by the clan and we could stand to lose another diplomat. If it came down to a vote most would vote for the Coatl.

"Vornz." I replied. "He has the love of the people as he cares for us."

"He's always seemed a little too egotistical for my tastes." Jeor replied. "I'm surprised you like that quality in Vornz but hate it in Alex."

"I don't see Vornz as egotistical. I see him as confident."

"Just like Alex."

"If not Vornz, who?"

"I think the leader should be chosen from the Dracomorphs. They'll have proved their skill and will also have the utter devotion of the clan. Then there's the fact that a Dracomorph will be recognized by all of Sornieth."

"You really think that one great action will unite all of the clans together?"

"Fear is a powerful ally." Alex remarked. "They might not love and admire the Dracomorphs, but they will respect their strength."

"Let me guess, you would choose Scourge as a leader." I said.

"Her? Sornieth is not ready for a clan ruled by the likes of her. If I was desperate I might decide that you, Jorah, should be the next clan leader."

No comments:

Post a Comment