Saturday, September 21, 2019

The Last Mormont Chapter 14: Khal ki Vorsa

This is a Game of Thrones fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.


I ran at the Three-Eyed Raven with my flaming sword. The heat from Lightbringer grew brighter as I grew more confident. Westeros would be saved as I did a horrible deed. Maybe the stain would forever be on my soul, but it had to be done. The more certain I became the higher the flames rose from my blade.

Bran attempted to confuse my mind to the point I lost any semblance of self. But those tricks didn't work on me now. I had Daenerys' shield and the legendary sword, there was nothing that could stop me now. The demigod's pitiful screams reverberated throughout my soul. Lightbringer sliced off one leg which caused him to cry out even louder.

In the moment I allowed myself to feel joy, I was sent through Bran's early memories. This was the time before he was thrown out of the tower and began his journey. He was just an innocent boy. How I wished I could warn him of everything that was to happen. It would have been better if he had died from the fall. Did I feel anything for him or just the monster he had become?

I yelled out and pushed my mind closer to him. Each flame shot out like thin pieces of thread and lead me to him. I fell down towards him with my sword leading the way. Bran sent out a beam of flames to meet me and Daenerys' shield protected me. All I had to do was hold on as it grew warm enough to melt off my flesh. But it couldn't unless I believed it so. With a cry of pain Lightbringer went easily into the demigod's flesh until he disappeared from my reach.

YOU COULD HAVE HAD EVERYTHING! Bran cried as he appeared in front of me. BOW TO ME AND THIS WILL BE FORGOTTEN!

"You don't think I'll do it?" I asked angrily and went into a defensive posture. "You don't think I'm strong enough?"

I KNOW YOU. YOU ARE CONFIDENT NOW, BUT YOU WON'T BE ONCE THE CHOICE IS IN FRONT OF YOU.
He was right that fighting him was easy. But killing his heart would test me to my limits. It was so easy to think about faltering. That I would hold my sword to it and then burst into tears. The thing that kept the Three-Eyed Raven alive was not just how well protected its heart was, but the very human feeling of pity. If only the Night King had taken this task from me.

Bran pulled out his own sword and came towards me. He was as fast as he thought and that was faster than the human eye can track movement. My belief in the ability to fight him was the only reason he didn't kill me that moment. We twisted and turned in the deadliest of dances. If my fear wasn't in danger of consuming me, I would've gone for his heart in an instant.

The scenery changed from Bear Island to Dragonstone to Meereen and to the cold beyond the Wall. My feet were barely able to keep up with the changing ground. There was no choice now but to end this game once and for all. To brave the obscene and make sure the Westerosi people didn't have to crumble under Bran's reign. No, the Three-Eyed Raven's reign.

To make the transition easier for myself, I ran at the Three-Eyed Raven and found myself in the far north. I turned around and saw an ancient weirwood tree, the same where Bran had died. Steeling myself I sheathed Lightbringer and walked inside even as every nerve in my body told me to run away.

"Hello?" A scared boy's voice asked.

His voice was frightened and I wished I could comfort him. But there was no comfort to be had when you were the heart of the Three-Eyed Raven. I took my time walking to where the boy was sitting and finally was forced to look into familiar eyes. I was forced to look into Bran Stark's eyes.

"Who are you?" The boy asked.

"I am Ser Jorah Mormont of Bear Island." I said and focused on keeping my soul here even as the Three-Eyed Raven tried to tear me away.

"Didn't you flee into exile? How did you get all the way here?"

"I came back to Westeros when Queen Daenerys Targaryen made her way across the Narrow Sea."

"I...I remember that. It was a dream. Where are Meera, Hodor, and Summer?"

Meera Reed. Hodor. Summer. His memory must end just before he escaped. That was the night when Hodor and Summer died. If I were still in Ghost's body I would feel as if a family member had died. The direwolves were close even though they had not seen each other since they were pups. Could I tell Bran such things or would that cause enough confusion for me to be flung far away from the Three-Eyed Raven?

"Do you know where you are?" I asked.

"I'm beyond the Wall learning how to be the next Three-Eyed Raven." Bran replied and pointed to the man on one of the walls. "That man is teaching me."

The old heart of the last Three-Eyed Raven. A man who had been consumed by the ancient power and lost himself in the end. There was no controlling what this wicked demigod was. Bran truly thought he was in this weirwood tree and nothing I could say would convince him. But I had to try if only to ease my own conscience.

"You're not here." I said and my grip tightened on Daenerys' shield. "The Night King attacked killing Hodor and Summer. You and Meera escaped. But you were changed."

The Three-Eyed Raven pulled at my soul and I resisted. I was Azor Ahai, the last person capable of ending the demigod's reign of terror. It was up to me to make sure that he didn't destroy Westeros. If the Westerosi people were to kill themselves, that would be their choice. Not the choice of the nothing.

"No, I've been here." Bran replied.

"For how long?" I asked.

"A few hours, maybe. My head has been hurting so it might have been longer."

"When does your head hurt?"

"If I start getting too worried."

Bran had his headaches whenever he started to question the illusion. Of course it would be pain that the Three-Eyed Raven chose. The creature only knew how to hurt others, helping was a foreign concept to it. It also wouldn't consider a human worthy of pity. I had been the only one it had shown pity and now I would kill it. There was no hope for the demigod and I'd feel no sadness when it died.

"Your headaches occur when you start to see the illusion." I told him.

"Where am I?" Bran asked.

"I assume in Winterfell. If I can't accomplish my task then you'll soon arrive in King's Landing."

"Why would it be horrible if I arrive in King's Landing? Why can't I remember leaving?"
The world around us started to shake and I knew there wasn't much time left. If I waited too long then the Three-Eyed Raven would assume control and leave me floating until my mind could concentrate again. I took out Lightbringer and looked at Bran. The boy was innocent in all of this. He wasn't evil and yet it was his blood that would need to be spilled. If only there was more time to explain and justify everything.

"The Three-Eyed Raven is not your friend." I said. "He is using your body and plans to kill humanity one day. First in Westeros and then he will make his way to every odd corner of this world."

"You're lying." Bran replied softly.

"Then why is there doubt in your voice?"

"I don't know why Meera, Hodor, and Summer have been gone so long. But that just means you are powerful, not that you are right."

"There is not enough time to prove myself to you."

"Try."

The world shook again and I realized only I was feeling the motion. Bran's very human eyes remained focused on me while his body always stayed relaxed. This wouldn't have been the case if he saw the movement. It took all of my strength to buy myself just a few seconds to remain with Bran. With more strength than I knew I had, those seconds turned into minutes.

"Are you just going to remain silent?" Bran asked.

"No, of course not." I replied. "The Children of the Forest created the White Walkers as a way to attack humans. They only turned to the First Men when the Night King managed to resist their magic. Why would the Three-Eyed Raven, much beloved by the Children, be anything but an enemy?"

"They learned that humans are worth something."

"Sometimes hatred doesn't die."

Again the world started to shake and this time I heard the Three-Eyed Raven's voice in my soul. There was no more time to convince the boy. No more time to slowly explain why I had to kill him. It was unfair to him and I wished dearly this wouldn't be his fate. But if I paused for any longer then Westeros would fall.

"May the gods forgive me, Bran Stark." I said with my eyes closed. "But if I don't kill you now then Westeros will fall."

"No! There ha-" Bran's reply was cut off when my sword went through his heart.

Unbidden cries left my lips. It was not fair to see his dying eyes crying for answers. They cried for more time. They also accused me of being a monster. It should not have happened this way. Bran should have willingly chosen death so that he could save the people of Westeros. It should have been a heroic ending for the boy. His death should have been cause for celebration from House Stark.

NO! The Three-Eyed Raven cried out in utter pain and confusion. YOU WERE TOO WEAK! YOU WERE TOO WEAK TO HAVE DONE THIS! HOW!
I kept a strong grip on Lightbringer even as Bran struggled to breathe in an attempt to defy death. He was not that strong nor could I ever let him be. He had to die now so I twisted the sword and the scenery started to burst into flame. The flames followed the roots in an intricate design which caused the Three-Eyed Raven to yell even louder. If not for Bran's death, I would be crying out in victory.

I TRUSTED YOU. The Three-Eyed Raven said quietly. YOU WERE SOMEONE I COULD TRUST.

"If you hadn't intended to kill all of humanity, I would feel sorry for you." I replied angrily. "Bran Stark died because of your lies. He could have lived a long and happy life without you. Don't expect for me to feel anything for you after today."

I WOULD EXPECT NOTHING LESS FROM SUCH AN-AH!

For a moment it had seemed as if the demigod would be able to fight through the pain. Yet he succumbed to death just like any other mortal. The thought was a very comforting one as the flames started to lick at my skin. The thought helped me stay in place as the world started to collapse in a fiery haze around me. I wanted to stay by Bran as long as I could. The innocent boy that had become entangled in a world he could not hope to comprehend.

Bran breathed his last breath and the world around me started to lose its color. Unlike direwolf sight that viewed the world in pale shades, the world was losing its very essence without something to hold it together. I kissed Bran's forehead and allowed my soul to travel from this place. It was hard to do since I didn't want to live with the blood on my hands.

The only reason I was able to leave that world was because I needed to tell the others what had happened. I needed to tell them that the nothing was dead for good. Would Jon ever forgive me?

The burning tree and screams of the demigod were quickly gone and replaced by battle. I had been through countless conflicts and understood Ghost's body as if it were my own, so it was only a few minutes until I adjusted to the scenery. It took me longer to fight as Bran's dying face continued to tear at me. At least humans were free of the Three-Eyed Raven's reign before it had even begun. I had to take solace in that or I'd fall apart.

I jumped into the water as arrows came at me. Some of Euron's men had reached the city. Not enough to take it but enough to cause a problem. Especially now that I didn't have Lightbringer or any other sword. It was easy to swim through the water as I thought of a line of attack. I looked up at the mast of a ship and growled as I couldn't see the sigil. Closing my eyes I focused on if I could smell anything familiar on the vessel.

I dove underwater as an arrow came towards me. There was my answer. It was not friendly. Direwolves weren't able to hold their breathes for a long amount of time and water made it near impossible to smell anything. I opened up one eye briefly to figure out where the ship was and swam quickly for it. There wouldn't be much time to get on the ship once I was able to breathe air again. But would I ever really die? The demigod had implied I was immortal and I doubted he would lie to me on such a matter. So if I didn't admire Ghost, I could leave him to die if needed. Unfortunately I wasn't that heartless.

Pushing aside my fear I climbed as fast as I could up the ship. It was hard but the thought of Ghost dying gave me strength. When I was close to the top I heard a dragon roar which caused the arrows to stop flying.

[I'm alive.] I said to Khaleesi, Drogon's distinct colors clearly visible even to direwolf eyes. [The Three-Eyed Raven is dead.]

I fell onto the deck and prayed she hadn't picked up on my sadness. Prayed that my few words to her didn't cause the battle to be lost. I didn't give Euron's men anytime to recover from the sight of Drogon. I didn't allow them to regain their footing at all. Instead I attacked with all the pain and guilt I felt over Bran's death. There was no mercy I would give them.

For awhile my mind got lost in the haze of battle and I forgot myself. I didn't want the memories now in my head. I didn't want to feel the pain that was threatening to break me. The ease of fighting helped me forget everything and I wished I could have stayed there. But when I heard swords dropping onto wood I came back to reality. I was Ser Jorah Mormont, Azor Ahai, and murderer of Bran Stark. I could not, in good faith, kill men that had surrendered.

I jumped off the ship and took relief in the water. It was a calming thing to feel water go across my body. I attempted to get lost in Ghost's instincts as my reality was too painful to bear. I couldn't go to Khaleesi with my mind as conflicted as it was. She should be rejoicing in victory and the fact the Iron Throne was now hers. Cersei was no longer needed and there was no one that could ever forgive her. There was no doubt in my mind the Lannister would be executed shortly.

My head turned as I heard the sound of people shouting. They were too far away for me to see but I could imagine what was happening. Northerners, Dothraki, and Unsullied were cheering. For the last two groups this was what they had fought years for. They had supported Khaleesi and now their hard work was about to be rewarded. Though for the nomads that wished to live in Westeros, their journey was just beginning. They couldn't continue their lifestyle in this land.

After swimming for awhile my ears picked up waves crashing against sand. At least I assumed that was the case. I had grown used to how waves sounded when crashing against ships, docks, and cliffs. This sound was different and I headed to it. My direwolf side didn't want to stop swimming but the human part needed to sleep.

The beach was enclosed on two sides by cliffs. There was only a narrow entrance to enter it by. Before my paws felt earth, I looked to see if I would have to swim or if I could climb to the city. My nose picked up the scent of grass and I could see a path that no human could ever hope to traverse. It was fortunate, then, that I was not human anymore.
I had died once and come back to life. When my paws felt the course sand, it felt like I had been resurrected again. The battle had been rough on Ghost and fulfilling my duties as Azor Ahai had been taxing on my mind. After getting just out of the reach of the waves, I lay down as my eyes started to close. I should go to Khaleesi and fall asleep in front of her. She should not worry that I was dead after she had declared victory. But there was no energy that I could muster. Maybe one of her men would have seen me swimming and reassured her.

My worries quickly fled as the need to sleep overwhelmed me. The only thing I could hope for was that my dreams wouldn't be of Bran dying. Instead I wanted to dream of Khaleesi ruling the Seven Kingdoms and making love to her. I wanted to be with her to escape my pain. Or with the red-haired woman who could finally explain who she was.

The last sound I heard before falling asleep was the music of waves crashing on the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment