Sunday, January 21, 2024

The Valley Who Loved a Human Chapter 3: A Ruined State

This is a Stardew Valley fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.


MURTAGH
It was peaceful here. The cold had given way to a gentle warmth. The only two legged creature that wandered in this part of the forest did not dare to mount me like others of their kind. There was grass to eat and trees to find shade under.

After escaping my confinement, this was where I tended to hide. For an unknown reason the two legged creatures did not come to this place often. If there was something to be scared of, I had not yet found it.

My ears twitched at the sound of three two legged creatures coming towards me. Fearing that they would confine me yet again, I ran.

JASH
The bus ride was quiet. Especially as we got closer to Stardew Valley and less people were on the bus. The driver, a woman with a constant stink of alcohol on her breath, didn't provide any conversation and left immediately once we arrived in the Valley.

I took a deep breath before exiting. This was it. I was finally beginning a new life far from the Joja Corporation. No longer would they confine me. Now I was my own man with a farm...though I had never done any gardening before, much less farming.

"Welcome, Farmer Jash!" Mayor Lewis said with a big smile on his face. "I'm Lewis, we've talked over the phone. The woman standing beside me is Robin. She's the town carpenter."

"It's good to finally meet you in person, Lewis." I replied, trying to hide my nervousness. "It's good to meet you, Robin."

After a few more short greetings, we made our way to Navi Farm. The farm that my grandfather had given to me as a gift. Once I saw the farm I grew pale. It was all overgrown by trees, grass, weeds, and rocks. I didn't know how to to farm and now I would have to fix...oh...no.

"Are you listening?" Lewis asked.

"Yeah." I lied. "Robin is the town carpenter and I'll be going to her to build things around the farm."

"Well, I guess we need to let you settle down. It must not have been a short journey and you need rest."

I was grateful to enter the small house and put my backpack down. It was good that I had packed only the bare essentials as the place was tiny. Once I sat down on my bed, I fell instantly asleep.

LEWIS
The new farmer seemed like a good man. But being a good man was not a substitute for talent. And with how Jash looked at the farm...he didn't have talent. The only reason I had to give him a chance was he was the grandson of a man that once lived in the Valley.

As I lay down in my bed for the night, I tried to calm my nerves. Maybe Jash would learn quickly and there would be a new stream of profits for my little town. Maybe he would even become a good friend of everyone.

I prayed to Yoba to give the new farmer guidance and then drifted off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment