Monday, January 8, 2024

The Valley Who Loved a Human Chapter 2: A Fated Farmer

This is a Stardew Valley fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.


JASH
"Don't throw it out!" I yelled, barely stopping Mom from throwing away Animorphs #3 The Encounter.

"You already have four of this book." Mom argued, crossing her arms. "Grandpa's farm will be small and I doubt you'll be able to properly store this collection. Today's the day you have to throw things out."

"How about you keep my Animorphs collection here and when I have everything set up at the farm, you can send them over. I've managed to keep my collection every time I've moved and...I don't want to mess up my winning streak."

Mom let out a sigh but eventually agreed. She had accepted that her daughter had become her son, so accepting my book collection would stay with her for a little while wasn't that big of a deal. She wanted me to be happy. Whether that was in my body or my choice of a new career out in the middle of nowhere.

When I was young, my grandpa had given me an envelope. He had told me to only open it when I needed to escape from my life. Being so young, I had kept it by my side as I hadn't run across the Joja Corporation yet. It was the last thing grandpa had ever given me.

But when yet another employee decayed in front of me, all the way down to the bone, I had decided to open the envelope from so long ago.

So now I was leaving my Mom, and everything I knew, for a chance at happiness.

M. RASMODIUS
Spirit's Eve was still a few seasons away, but I wanted to be prepared. It was always the same affair and so there was really no need to practice. But I always wanted to make changes to make each year special. I just...there were some spells that eluded me.

"This isn't what you promised me." A humanoid cat growled, her arms crossed over her chest. "You said I would get any woman I wanted."

"Intention is everything in magic." I replied, flipping hurriedly through one of my books. "You must have said your intention with sarcasm and I didn't catch it, Alex."

"But you can fix this, right?"

"Of course."

I would also erase his memory of this incident. No need to let the others in the Valley know of my mistake. He would remember helping me but not exactly how. All he would care about would be his body being intact.

Just as I was about to change him back, a vision came to me. A man, no woman, no something that defied either gender. I saw their future in the Valley. If this vision was not changed to any great degree, this Jash would surely work well as my apprentice.

"Are you going to change me back?" Alex asked angrily.

"Of course and then I will pursue more visions of my apprentice." I replied.

KROBUS
It was another bright Friday morning with me holding my silence in honor of Yoba. This was easy to do since no one bothered me. No humans came down to the sewers and that was good by me. Humans loathed the unknown and would drive me from this peace I had found.

Though sometimes I wished that someone would save me from this solitude. Even my own kind didn't care for me and avoided my presence. They were violent and found my peaceful ways to be strange and off-putting.

"What do you think they'll be like?" A young woman with the voice like a burning star asked.

"You do realize Jash is coming here as a farmer, right, Haley?" A woman with a slightly easier to handle voice retorted.

"Yeah, Em, I'm not stupid."

"You hate any kind of labor so why are you interested in a farmer?"

Haley scoffed and was silent.

Everyone in this human settlement had been talking about this Farmer Jash. He was going to be a new face and everyone was worried. Everyone had opinions about what he would add or take from this town. Even I had begun to wonder if he, among all humans, would show me kindness and be my friend.

But why dream of things that would never happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment