Sunday, July 23, 2023

Oppenheimer (Mini-Review)

Oppenheimer is a biopic about J. Robert Oppenheimer. Oppenheimer has always been fascinated about quantum physics, the world that is all important yet is hidden. He had a comfortable job being a professor at the University of California until World War II gets too close to him. As one of the best minds on quantum physics, Oppenheimer finds himself drawn to seeing if he can create the atomic bomb. Oppenheimer was released in 2023. It was directed by Christopher Nolan. It stars Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, Matt Damon, and Robert Downey Jr.

Thankfully there is no mid or post credits scene. My bladder made it until the end of the credits but as I got out of my seat I was worried I was going to go number 2 in my pants.

When the movie got to the atomic bomb testing, I really wished I had seen this movie in IMAX. If possible, I still might see this movie in that format. The sound design was breathtaking, never mind the visuals. At first there is a great wave of silence that didn't surprise me. I knew there would be a loud and sudden sound when the air rushed back in. Because that's how atomic bombs work. Yet the sound still startled me and I loved it. It was a beautiful and horrifying scene. Horrifying because deadly consequences happened once the atomic bomb was released onto the world. Then and now.

This movie did a good job of showing Oppenheimer as a human. He isn't glorified by being shown as a saintly man. He had an affair with a married man's wife and later married that woman. He also nearly poisoned someone near the beginning of the movie and deeply regretted that action. I think that perfectly sums up all the wrong he did with his life. Especially with the atomic bomb. He has desires that he acts on and later regrets. Sometimes he can make things right but...that's not always possible.

There are some scenes in black and white while others are in color. The black and white are supposed to show those scenes take place from Lewis Strauss' point of view. Strauss initially supported Oppenheimer but eventually a rift came between them. The time jumps and color changes aren't distracting as the movie goes on. Being color coded helps you keep track of what point in time things are happening.

Some people on Twitter have been screeching about how this movie is glorifying Oppenheimer and/or complaining that a biopic focuses on one person. Heck, one person even complained that not showing the bombings on Japan was a poor move. This movie paints Oppenheimer as a human with all that entails. Since it focuses on Oppenheimer, somethings just couldn't be told. And not showing the bombings was a good move. It's more respectful that that destruction wasn't shown.

I would highly recommend Oppenheimer to fans of Christopher Nolan. I would also highly recommend Oppenheimer to history fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment