Wednesday, March 2, 2022

That Which Remains (Kafka's Men Book 2)

What is love...


Corvid "Kafka" Ravenhart has a lot to think about. She has amnesia and yet the Cassowary Institute expects her to perform like she doesn't. A mistake on the wrong test could spell the end of her short life.

Yet even though she should be fully focused on Institute business, Kafka can't help but wonder how her relationship with Blaine Rue began. Why did the other woman decide to start sleeping with him? Did she ever truly love him?

Does it even matter?

That Which Remains is the second book in the slow burning Reverse Harem series Kafka's Men.

This was tiring just like trying to figure out my feelings for Blaine. As I focused on my dachshund morph I thought that my love for him was only an illusion. It could be that the other woman pretended to love him for all the benefits doing so gave us. She could have erased that truth so that I was stuck having feelings for him.

Once I was far enough along in my morph, I focused heavily on the dog's instincts. There were few creatures as happy as a dog. And what I needed now was happiness to get rid of my worries. Not even the calming effects of morphing was enough to dampen my emotions. I loved Blaine so much and there was the very real possibility that he didn't have the same feelings for me. How likely was it that the demented man could love me?

I went from one dog morph to another dog morph. I couldn't pass this test if I allowed myself to feel an ounce of sadness. Yet no matter the dog morph, I still felt the same aching worry. My heart couldn't take the possibility that Blaine didn't love me. That he would ever let me die. Some part of me foolishly hoped that he had rigged my tests so I would win. But that would never happen as he was too loyal to the Institute. And would I really look the other way if others had to die for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment