Saturday, December 26, 2020

Lynesse Chapter 14: A Marriage of Ice and Fire

This is a Game of Thrones fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE
.

Ghost walked beside me as snow started to fall lightly on Winterfell. It was light enough to be pleasant but not hard enough to be a problem in a few hours. In short, perfect for today for this was when I'd officially marry Daenerys Targaryen. She was a complicated woman and I wouldn't have her any other way.

Behind myself and Ghost a procession of Northerners walked. It had taken some convincing for Daenerys to understand something had to be done to reassure Sansa I was still loyal to the North. If the Stark thought I forgot my roots then it could cause some tension in the future.

I made my way to the godswood where the ceremony would be held. It had taken some effort to clear an area that hinted to its former glory. Jon and I had even worked alongside commoners to make today a day to be remembered fondly by Khaleesi. It was a good few hours working alongside the Stark. If only he were going to be king and not me.

The entrance to the godswood was lined with commoners. Some were excited while most were bored. They didn't care about who sat on the Iron Throne as long as they were allowed to live their lives in peace. If Khaleesi became who she was meant to be then a glorious new age would start for everyone.

I looked at everyone I could as Ghost started to walk in front of me. It was as if he were guiding me. A small smile came over my face as I finally allowed myself to embrace this moment. Not as a future ruler but as a man who very dearly loved a woman. If there was any danger Jon's gift to me would give warning.

As Ghost took me further into the godswood, people formed a path. On one side there were Unsullied and Dothraki. On the other side there were Northerners. Even those Houses that had abandoned House Stark had decided to return. Whether that was to make sure I took notice of their loyalty or if they had changed their minds, I could not say.

They all bowed their heads when I went by and it made me feel proud. After everything I had gone through, it was my fate to end up with the woman of my dreams. No matter what hardships came our way, we would have each other. No matter what the gods decreed, we would have each other. If I were truly Azor Ahai, surely the gods would bless me to give my wife children. Surely they wouldn't deny me that.

When I stood with the heart tree's stump behind me, Ghost stood beside me. My father would have been proud to see me regain my honor to the point even a direwolf respected me. Ghost had respected me enough to ride into battle by my side. Not everyone could have accomplished such a feat.

While waiting for Khaleesi to make her way to me, Tyrion took the side that Ghost wasn't on. The man liked to drink and joke more than think. Or at least that's the way it seemed to me. Yet he could strategize battles just as well as Sansa could read people. It had taken some time for me to think of him as more than a drunk. But I couldn't keep my low opinion of him forever it turned out.

"Our queen is a great woman." Tyrion whispered. "You could have done a lot worse with a marriage."

"I know our queen is good." I whispered back. "There was no doubt in my mind."

"With how she's treated you in the past, I thought you would think differently."

"I was not always a good man so she had countless reasons to treat me as she did."

I had wronged Khaleesi in the past by the way I had lied to her. The fear of her finding out the truth of why we had first met had been overwhelming. It wasn't possible for a woman to be betrayed that badly and forgive the traitor. Yet by my actions she had learned how pure my feelings for her were. I had not wanted her bed, I had merely wanted the chance to serve her. Without being in her service, my life held no meaning for me. If it wasn't for her forgiveness then I would've let myself become a stone man.

"I shouldn't have said she should exile you again." Tyrion whispered. "You could have been there for her when she needed you the most."

"She was testing you." I whispered back. "If you said the wrong thing you might have been executed."

"She should have trusted a good advisor."

"You came to her with only the Lannister name. Why would she have just trusted the family that brought her family to ruin?"

"Because I'm not my sister or brother."

Khaleesi had to be careful who she trusted as not everyone liked change. Not everyone would like to see the wheel broken. Those in power liked to retain what they had earned. How would she know that House Lannister had shattered into different loyalties? But, at the same time, she was in danger of seeing enemies in every shadow. Not just because of her father, but because that was a problem all those in power had.

"Thank you for giving Daenerys advice while I wasn't by her side." I whispered to Tyrion.

"Thank you for not letting me drown." Tyrion whispered back with a grin.

His grin faded quickly from his face but a small remnant remained. He couldn't hide his emotions like I could. It had to be pointed out that he was doing his best. He didn't want my wedding day to be ruined by incompetence.

Couldn't Khaleesi get here quicker? While the godswood looked better than after the Night King destroyed it, there was an eerie feeling in it. Something was telling me to run as this place would never be able to get rid of the stain. It took every ounce of strength to keep me standing and looking calm. My people wouldn't be able to see me run away now and keep their respect.

Ghost shifted slightly on the snow as Khaleesi walked to me. While I wore my armor, she had a new dress on. The dress was black with slashes of red. Above the dress she wore a fur coat that was black and seemed to be bleeding. I would've preferred her to wear the white coat she had worn while in the North, but she was trying not to lose her identity. It made sense that the last person with the Targaryen name would want to reassert their identity.

Khaleesi walked with such grace that it was hard to remember her as a scared girl. She had overcome every trial so she could be reborn as someone people would follow. It wasn't by chance that she had earned the loyalty of the Unsullied and Dothraki. She was a strong woman and there could be no greater joy than being her husband.

She stood in front of me and it took everything not to break down crying in joy. The euphoria coursing through my body was so great that I knew this was what I had been afraid of. There hadn't been much reason to celebrate ever since my exile so this intense feeling was overwhelming. My love's expression, while stoic to everyone else, was an intense sign of the fact she was feeling the same joy as I was.

"I, Queen Daenerys Targaryen, have fought hard to claim the Iron Throne." Khaleesi said. "There has been nothing more important in my life than to sit on the Iron Throne as my ancestors have done before me. Nothing has claimed my heart like that goal until I realized my feelings for Ser Jorah Mormont were more than just friendly. I trust him with all my heart until my final breath."

This wasn't how weddings normally went. She was declaring her love for me in a very informal fashion. At least that is how people would see it. But as long as she ruled well no one would hold it against her. Though if she ruled with a weak hand everyone would point to this wedding as a sign she shouldn't have been trusted with the Iron Throne.

"I, King Jorah Mormont, have disgraced my House in the past." I said. "While in exile I found my life without purpose or direction. It wasn't until I met Daenerys Targaryen that I found not only a woman, but a ruler worthy to die for. I served her with no thought but the joy of being in her service. After the Battle of Winterfell it was a pleasant surprise to me that she returned my romantic feelings for her. I will protect all of her heart until her final breath."

Khaleesi had a smile on her face once I had finished my vows. Her skin was the color of the snow around us and her smile was as warm as the fire a dragon breathed. Finally it seemed she was experiencing joy. After everything she had endured, she was able to relax and feel nothing but happiness. The fact I had caused her happiness made me proud. Not only was I able to guide her, I was able to show her that life was more than pain.

I walked to Khaleesi and put my hands on her hips. She looked up at me and I was able to see past all of her defenses. To my eyes she wasn't a queen, she was just a woman in love. I leaned down to kiss her as I felt honored to be allowed to truly know her. At any moment I could see all of who she was. Not just a conqueror, but a person just trying to do the best they could. When we kissed we kept from going too far with our emotions. We had to keep up the air of decency.

We ended our kiss much too soon for either of our liking. The people cheered and that didn't matter to me. All that mattered was that Khaleesi loved me.
* * *
The feast had been going on for an hour. All of the bards were currently taking a break and most likely figuring what songs they should sing next. Everyone was enjoying the singing, dancing, and food. All of this luxury had been denied to everyone due to winter and the Night King. After tonight food would once again be rationed out until spring.

I finished my wine and waited for a servant to refill it once again. Any other night I would be restraining myself from drinking too much. But tonight I had become Khaleesi's husband. I had married the woman who I felt called to. The woman who I had given everything for. Even though I had risked everything for her, she was not a prize. She was a woman whose heart was her own. And she had ended up giving me that heart.

"You could be out there dancing." Khaleesi said as a servant refilled our chalices. "I'm sure every common wench wants to be with you tonight."

"Any other night I would have relished in that fact." I replied as I sipped my wine. "But tonight there is only one wench I wish to be with it."

"If you call her a wench one more time I'm sure you'll be very lonely."

"I highly doubt that."

We both chuckled as if we were children. Maybe I should be watching how much I was drinking. Or maybe I should just fully lose myself in this night. Who knows how many more peaceful moments I would find upon leaving Winterfell. Once again I would be fighting a war so that death would cease to plague Westeros. Unlike the Night King, though, Cersei Lannister was very much human.

"I heard what happened to Missandei and Grey Worm." Daenerys said darkly. "These Northerners are needed to keep my hold on Westeros but sometimes I wonder."

"You need the North's support if you wish to rule Westeros." I argued.

"The Baratheons and Lannisters needed the North's support because they didn't have dragons. I do."

"How Aegon claimed the North is why w-they hate House Targaryen. You need to show them that you are different. If you are the same as all the other Targaryen rulers you will never earn their respect."

"So I should reward those who disrespect my men?"

"Of course not."

"You're right, I can't punish the North for the wrongs of a few men. But I can punish a few men."

I nodded and we both looked at the festivities around us. I focused on those dancing to try and get Daenerys' voice from my mind. While her words were full of rightful anger, underneath was a much different story. She didn't like that the Northerners showed a lack of respect to her. She had been worshiped in Essos and in Westeros she found herself having to begin again. No longer could she ride on past accomplishments, she had to create new ones.

While she was angry someone would harass her friends, she also saw this as a way to justify attacking the North. She could point out what had happened to Missandei and Grey Worm to rationalize another war. A war where she could punish all those who dared disrespect her. That was her thick Targaryen blood luring her with treacherous words.

That part of my love was something that needed to be controlled and contained. She needed to have the drive to both conquer and rule, something not achieved by being perfectly honorable. It was my duty as friend, lover, advisor, and king to watch over her more violent side. It was my responsibility to make sure the darker side of my love never took control. I was certain her better side would win in the end or else I wouldn't have married her. Instead I would have fought her so as to not stain my House's name a second time.

Khaleesi laughed as Ghost walked around the room to find a corner where he wouldn't be disturbed. She was both beautiful and deadly. A woman and a dragon. It was good to hear her laugh as it made this moment all the sweeter. When she finally sat on the Iron Throne there would be more laughter to be had.

"We should have a second wedding." Khaleesi said with a large smile. "We should combine my coronation with our wedding."

"After you defeat Cersei, I don't think people will mind giving you as many weddings as you desire." I replied with as much sensuality as I could muster. "It would be my honor to ravish you for how many wedding nights you end up having."

"You really think I should test the people so? I can have you any day or time. I am your wife and queen, it is your duty to pleasure me."

"Pleasuring you is a duty I am more than willing to perform."

Our conversation was cut short when a servant brought a new wine. She swore that it was stronger than the previous one. After taking a careful sip I nodded my agreement. Khaleesi sipped her wine once the servant walked away. All of the wine was getting to my head and I had to stop myself from ******* Khaleesi in the middle of the Great Hall. In her eyes I could see the same lust which meant we would have to be going back to our room very soon if we wanted to keep our dignity.

The bards suddenly started up with a tune I had never heard before. It was a playful melody telling the tragic tale of the Battle of Winterfell. In the song those that had abandoned House Stark were painted as awful people. The words the bards chose were mocking and I was glad that many of those Houses hadn't decided to come to Khaleesi's wedding. The song ended with a blessing to a new Westeros that would respect the North.

"This is a great song." I said as the bards began a much more familiar song.

In my drunken state it was a miracle that I found her hand and took her to the center of the room. There our bodies became nearly intertwined as we followed the music. The music told us where to go and I finally felt free. More free than I had at any other time. Our bodies moved as if they were one and the same. As if neither skin or distance could separate us. This would be a great wedding night indeed.

Why was everyone laughing? Why was Tyrion cheering us on? With much effort I broke through my drunken haze just enough to see that it wasn't Khaleesi I was dancing with. It was Jon! Trying not to show my fear, I laughed.

"I've had too much too drink." I apologized to Jon.

"It made the night interesting." He replied with a smile. "And it doesn't look like our queen minded."

"If only you were still interested in her as tonight could be very interesting indeed."

What the **** was coming out of my mouth? I shouldn't be talking about Khaleesi in not only a crude way, but in front of the people whose respect we were trying to earn. I should not have bothered dancing and gone back to our room instead.

"You continue to surprise me." Khaleesi said to me once I sat beside her. "I didn't realize why you liked the North so much. He's good in bed if you're wondering."

"I'm not." I replied, my embarrassment being extreme enough to make my cheeks warm.

"You're better."

She stood up and I made sure it was her hand that I grasped. She led me to where she wanted me to ravage her. It would be best if we ****** in our room. But if she couldn't wait that long I would be more than happy to perform my duties anywhere she wished.

No comments:

Post a Comment