Monday, September 19, 2022

A Curse Chapter 5: The Chosen

This is a Flight Rising fanfiction. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This fic was originally published HERE.

The air in the clan was charged today. Everyone was trying to remain calm but the facade was never good enough. The only ones that weren't excited were those that didn't care about becoming a Dracomorph. All of us, even those not interested in becoming a Dracomorph, were gathered around the large boulder in the middle. A few hatchlings being trained as servants were walking and flying through the crowd with trays of water.

I picked up a cup of water from one of the waiters and turned to look at my family. Alex, Scourge, and Jeor were looking around at the crowd. Which of us would be chosen for the task of defending not only our clan but all of Sornieth? Which unlikely dragons would Elfangor have decided would become a Dracomorph? Would I in all my dreams of glory be chosen for such a task?

"You shouldn't worry, Jorah," Alex said. "Of course Elfangor will choose you. You are a great fighter who, despite his faults, will always improve himself."

"Shouldn't you be more certain of Scourge's chances?" I asked.

"My nomadic nature probably makes me unlikely as a candidate." Scourge answered. "If I said I would change if chosen, that would be a lie. Growing up outside of the continent has made me uneasy staying still for any great amount of time. Elfangor would realize the liability someone like me in the role of a Dracomorph would be."

"And I understand that." Alex said with a nod. "Even though I don't agree with it."

I looked at a few dragons with true familiars and held back a shiver. Those familiars that were properly bounded with a dragon could go onto the dragon's body. Their dimensions would somehow shift and they would look like very intricate tattoos. They could then move around the dragon's body like that before doing the whole process in reverse. It looked uncomfortable but the dragons with true familiars didn't react. So maybe bonding with a familiar like that wouldn't hurt. Hopefully.

"You shouldn't stare, father." Jeor whispered gently.

"I wasn't." I replied curtly.

"The process doesn't hurt, from what those with true familiars have told me. Some even find it pleasant."

"How could it be pleasant? It seems impossible."

"Our concepts of reality are extremely limited." Alex chimed in. "So of course someone like yourself wouldn't begin to understand what's going on."

"What is happening since I am apparently too dense?"

"The familiars are going from one state to another. It's like how water can turn into a solid, gas, or liquid. In this case in order to go from state to state they need to be intimately connected to a dragon or else it doesn't work."

There was a grin on Alex's face that showed how pleased he was with himself. He knew that the intricate details about the process would be beyond my realm of understanding. I didn't mind that he knew more than me, but his need to gloat could be overbearing. Or maybe he hardly understood the process and was covering up how much he didn't know.

I turned back to the boulder so I could avoid looking at my husband. Seitou, Kaliforna, Nazilla, and Elfangor would make their appearance there. Just looking at Nazilla told one why she had become Seitou's personal guard. The Imperial had an air about her that made everyone shiver. She nearly overshadowed Seitou by her presence alone.

"Why does only Seitou have a personal guard?" I mused.

"He's the clan leader." Jeor replied. "If he dies then the clan could turn to chaos."

"Kaliforna is his wife and, therefore, would take the role of leader once he passed."

"While she has moved on from being confined by a Tundra's mind, I don't know if most of the clan would follow her. They may question her decisions at dire moments."

"He should declare an heir, then. I have seen firsthand what chaos can ensue when an heir isn't properly chosen. Blood and civil war soon follow a contested ruler."

"Who would you choose?"

Who would be the right fit to lead the clan after Seitou passed? The Wildclaw had such a unique way of viewing the world that it was impossible to think of someone else leading like him. Or maybe the trick was to rule in a way that improved the clan. He was a good leader but there was always room for improvement.

Metis was his and Kaliforna's only child that had been allowed to remain in the clan. The problem with her was that her current duty was to evaluate everyone coming into the clan. It was hard to see her role as leader allowing her much time to evaluate new members. Vornz was deeply loved by the clan and we could stand to lose another diplomat. If it came down to a vote most would vote for the Coatl.

"Vornz." I replied. "He has the love of the people as he cares for us."

"He has always seemed a little too egotistical for my tastes." Jeor replied. "I'm surprised you like that quality in Vornz but hate it in Alex."

"I don't see Vornz as egotistical. I see him as confident."

"Just like Alex."

"If not Vornz, who?"

"I think the leader should be chosen from the Dracomorphs. They'll have proved their skill and will also have the utter devotion of the clan. Then there's the fact that a Dracomorph will be recognized by all of Sornieth."

"You really think that one great action will unite all of the clans together?"

"Fear is a powerful ally." Alex remarked. "They might not love and admire the Dracomorphs, but they will respect their strength."

"Let me guess, you would choose Scourge as a leader." I said.

"Her? Sornieth is not ready for a clan ruled by the likes of her. If I was desperate I might decide that you, Jorah, should be the next clan leader."

I couldn't tell if Alex was being sarcastic, kind, or honest. After a moment's thought I realized he was being extremely honest. He didn't know who should rule the clan after Seitou, but he trusted me more than most.

Everyone quieted as the shadows of four dragons passed by. Seitou and Kaliforna landed first on the large boulder. Nazilla waited until Elfangor landed to take her place behind the clan leader. The Mirror, due to him being the center of the announcement, was in front of the other three dragons. He looked nervous and I hoped that he had decided on who would be a Dracomorph. I hoped that his nervousness didn't indicate any doubt. It would be hard to continue to wait to see if my name was ever called.

"I know why you are all here." Elfangor said with a magically enhanced voice.

As one the clan roared in agreement and impatience. I pounded one of my feet hard into the ground a few times. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Rachel Berenson smirk at me. The Skydancer's bloody appearance enhanced the glee on her face. She would be a perfect match for the Dracomorphs. Her need for blood made her fearless on the battlefield.

"I have the names of those who will become members of the Dracomorphs." Elfangor continued after everyone had quieted. "Now it has been hard figuring out which of you would be a good fit and so this list is not the permanent one."

Alex let out a loud sigh and a few dragons roared their defiance. I didn't like that there would be more waiting but I made sure not to show my displeasure. Elfangor was deciding the fate of the world and so it was understandable he would want to take his time. The fact that he had a temporary list showed bravery on his part. He knew that the demons needed to be defeated quickly and he had a very limited time in which there was time to plan.

"There were restrictions on who I could choose." Elfangor continued. "If a dragon's commitment to the clan was paramount, they weren't chosen. Such as Seitou couldn't be chosen due to him being the clan leader or Metis as she evaluates who can stay in the clan. If there is no clan to return to, the Dracomorphs will have failed."

Elfangor was right. If someone's duties to the clan took priority then they couldn't be risked. I assumed that Birch wouldn't be chosen as they headed the breeding program. If they were to leave then chaos could ensue. That wasn't something that could be risked. Then Vergere, Head of the Yun-Harla Department, held powerful secrets that needed to be kept. It was doubtful those under her wing knew everything.

I turned to see Alex relax. He must think that since he was in charge of creating the morphing technology he was safe. Though his importance in creating the technology could be the exact reason he was chosen. What better way to keep the technology hidden than by making it a department secret?

Elfangor's Wavespun Wings blew slightly in the breeze as he took out a scroll. I forced myself to breathe as I watched the Mirror's movements. They were slow and deliberate as if he was buying himself as much time as possible.

"The first Dracomorph is-" Elfangor began and stopped as there was movement in the sky.

I followed his eyes and saw all four scouts flying hurriedly to the boulder. Selene, as always, looked like royalty and I could understand why the other three followed her. Loki's brilliant green colors were visible even this far away. Kiwi's blue and white colors blended so well into the sky that it was hard to tell he was there. Birb, the blind one, had a very distinct flying pattern that looked almost like he had been drinking.

Elfangor backed away once Selene landed. He stayed bowed until the other three scouts joined her. Birb nearly crashed into Elfangor and it was only by Kiwi's help that he didn't. My tail twitched as I worried what had happened. Selene most likely didn't know what she was interrupting and I hoped her news wasn't important. I didn't want anything to have happened to Daenerys and wanted to know if I was a Dracomorph.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your ceremony." Selene said and turned towards us. "What is this for?"

"The choosing of the Dracomorphs." Elfangor replied. "Everyone in the clan has spent a long time waiting for this decision. I have run a mock battle to help me figure out who would be the best fit."

"Then I can understand if a few clan members are angered by this interruption. But I assure everyone that what I have to report is important."

"What have you found out?" Vornz asked loudly. "Is it something about the demons?"

I didn't join the many roars that followed the Coatl's questions. While I could understand his impatience, the role of the scout's was to gather information that was to be heard by Seitou's ears first. Then if he decided, the information would make its way throughout the clan. To ask differently was to be rude. Vornz was a remarkable dragon, but he did have his...moments from time to time.

"What do you think she found out?" Alex asked quietly.

"It has to be either that Daenerys is grievously injured or the demons have made a move." I answered just as quietly. "There is nothing else that would make Selene interrupt this ceremony."

"There are more issues than just those." Scourge said in the same volume as us. "Those are just more apparent because they affect us."

"You're right." I agreed. "Danger could be where we least expect it to be."

A fellow Shadow Clan could decide to attack us for one reason or another. Some saw our loyalty to the Beastclans as proof about how unworthy we were. Then there were the vile rumors that we were slavers. We raised most hatchlings to become indentured servants for a set time to let them learn a skill. Then they were free to leave whatever clan had bought them. Those clans that tried to keep the dragons after their time served were punished. It was probably from those that attempted to keep dragons as slaves that the rumors began.

Selene walked to Seitou and Kaliforna. The Skydancer gave the clan leaders a bow before saying something to to them. Unlike before, the voices weren't magically projected so the rest of the clan couldn't hear the conversation. I became more nervous as Seitou seemed scared by the news from the scouts.

Had Daenerys been killed? Had the demons expanded to another flight? Or was it a danger I couldn't imagine?

The small whispers from my fellow clan members stopped as Seitou started to walk to the front of the boulder. I hoped that he would tell us what Selene had found as well as say that Dracomorph announcements would still be today.

"Selene has come bearing disturbing news." Seitou began and the scouts took their places behind him. "The news does not have anything to do with the demons as they are not Sornieth's only threat. We must remember, especially as it becomes hard to do so, that the demons are not the only thing affecting our land. There is the Shade that is always a menace to all life."

"What if the demons are servants of the Shade?" Metis asked. "What if they're one in the same?"

"Daughter, we don't yet know if they are connected. So we should act as if they are separate."

Metis like her mother began life as a Tundra and like her mother changed her breed. While Kaliforna became a Nocturne, her daughter became a Gaoler. Instead of the dark fur that once encased Metis, now it was as if sunlight filled every inch of her. She had her head turned up to look at her father with an unreadable expression.

"I must make a statement about the announcing of the Dracomorphs." Seitou said.

"This can't be good." Marco's faint voice said.

The Fae's sentiment was carried on voices throughout the clan. It was hard to remain silent and calm as I was worried. I didn't want to wait another day to find out if I was a part of the Dracomorphs, but I would have to. My loyalty was not to myself but to Seitou and Shadowbinder help anyone in the clan who thought differently.

"I know how important the Dracomorphs are to Sornieth." Seitou continued once everyone was silent. "I also know how many of you wish to become a Dracomorph and risk your lives for the freedom of all life. I know that for you the days of waiting have been painful."

I and many of the others started flapping their wings in unison. I wanted to show my leader how deeply I yearned to become a Dracomorph. I needed him to be moved by my show of force. For a few minutes I continued flapping my wings but then stopped once everyone else had. The decision to stop seemed to be started by Jake.

"Understand that the decision to delay the Dracomorph announcements is not one I make easily or lightly." Seitou said. "I know that by delaying the announcements I put our very existence at risk. I know that each day the Dracomorphs are not functioning dragonkind could end."

Elfangor looked relieved with our leader's decision. If I thought him a coward I would guess he had planned Selene's arrival. But he had shown himself to be brave in some of the most intense battles known to any servant of the Shadowbinder. It was understandable about any dragon growing nervous over having to make such an important decision. His decision would have echoes generations hence.

"The threat that Selene has reported on will be resolved quickly." Seitou continued. "Very soon those lucky few will be announced as the first Dracomorphs. Then we will take away the threat from Sornieth and life will return to normal."

While I liked my leader's sentiments, war never left someone the same. Everyone who fought in a war return changed. Seitou's Clan had never been in a war before. At the most it had gone through intense battles but nothing on the scale of a war. Those who had never been to war could not hope to understand it.

"Elfangor's task of assembling the Dracomorphs will not be shifted onto someone else." Seitou said. "But he will have to add assembling a task force to his duties. I can only say that the news Selene reported will not wait. When Elfangor has chosen his task force, those dragons will be notified about their mission."

Seitou could have lied about the demons not being involved. If he was keeping the mission a secret then no one could truly say what the threat was. Maybe this task force would alerted to how the demons had started expanding beyond the Plaguebringer's territory. It could be that they were attempting to penetrate the Shadowbinder's territory.

"I will not disappoint you, Seitou." Elfangor said.

"Nor will the dragons you choose." Seitou replied. "Everyone can go about their usual duties. Only those called to the task force will have their duties changed."

Some remained by the boulder while others started to either walk or fly away. I looked at Alex, Scourge, and Jeor. None of them wanted to be a Dracomorph like I did. None of them felt the calling to fight for the freedom of all Sornieth.

"The scouts could have found out about the demons' next move." Alex said in an attempt to reassure me. "Whoever is chosen could fight the demons. This task force could just be one big test."

"Life is a test." I replied. "I don't know if the task force will fight demons or rescue Daenerys."

"Fighting demons is more important to becoming a Dracomorph."

"I would rather let Sornieth burn than let Daenerys die."

No comments:

Post a Comment