Sunday, July 31, 2022

Update: Lynesse Chapter 23 Has Been Written

I've finished writing the latest chapter of Lynesse and will start editing tomorrow at the earliest. All depends on how well I'm doing.

Here's a small unedited excerpt of what to look forward to:

There was a comfort in battle that could be achieved nowhere else. For a few hours the world made sense. I gripped Ghost with my legs and one hand as I raised Heartsbane to the sky. After having ridden him from Winterfell to King's Landing, the direwolf had become another extension of my body. It was as natural riding him as it was breathing.

It didn't matter we were now riding towards the Golden Company. The famed group of sellswords had no fear in their eyes even as a man on a direwolf was followed closely by Dothraki, Unsullied, and Northerners. Those of us who had made it this far had survived or killed the famed war elephants. Those elephants that remained after the battle would become a meal for Drogon.

Ghost swerved without warning to avoid one of the war elephants and a few Dothraki went after it. They had decided to do so and so their fates were out of my hand. Instead I had to focus on those of the Golden Company that were riding towards me on horseback. My direwolf had grown large to the point I was now level with the cavalry.

The first member of the Golden Company attempted to pass through me with a sword and Ghost barred his fangs as I blocked the sword. As steel clashed against steel, the direwolf attempted to tear into the horse. Unfortunately both myself and the sellsword were used to our steeds movements. We were both trained to the point we could fight both battles at once.

It was a stroke of luck, like most victories, that allowed me to slice off a few of his finger. He was no longer able to stay balanced on his horse. The last sound he made was a cry of pain before being trampled by his horse.

Heartsbane connected with the swords of two sellswords. I didn't allow my mind to recognize anyone who I had fought beside. They had been hired to fight someone else's war and were used to killing former friends. If we survived this battle, it wouldn't be out of the question to share a few drinks together. But, for now, they were a faceless enemy to me.

An Unsullied's spear pierced the throat of one of the sellswords right as I cut into the other one's arm. With his sword hand now useless, I rode past him. Either he would be trampled to death or someone would kill him. There was no scenario where the man survived. Thus he didn't matter to me anymore.

Drogon's roar reverberated through the air and made a few of the mercenaries pause for the blink of an eye. But that was all the time needed for Daenerys' forces to strike a devastating blow. Heartsbane claimed many lives in the minutes that followed. While I remained outwardly calm even in the heat of battle, the Dothraki made their pleasure at the slaughter evident to everyone around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment