Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Almost Human "Simon Says" Review



I am doing this episode review as a written review since, at the moment, filming a vlog would be a little difficult.

Hiatuses are always a little difficult to deal with. Especially when they're for a show you love or that the hiatuses just come out of nowhere. The Almost Human hiatus wasn't that bad as there wasn't a cliffhanger unlike Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Hannibal.

Nevertheless, I couldn't wait until the next episode of Almost Human finally came on.

This episode, more than any other, made me cringe. It made me afraid of what would happen to the characters. Even when John Kennex had a collar put around his neck and I knew he'd survive, I was still afraid. I think that particular scene was tense because during the entire episode Dorian didn't have enough of a charge and so he was weaker, among other things.

This episode title comes from the game 'Simon Says' where a person tells others what to do. If you don't follow the instructions exactly, you lose. In this episode, though, you lose your life.

The episode reminded me highly of the movie Untraceable starring Diane Lane and released in 2008. In the episode, like in the movie, the killer shows the deaths online. In both you see how disgusting and terrifying people can be. How badly people want to see others die.

It turns out the killer in the episode is killing people who have wronged him in some way shape or form. He kills someone that worked at a bank because the man denied him a loan. He then goes after a woman who didn't return his affections. Finally he goes after John Kennex who embarrassed him to his online followers.

Karl Urban does a wonderful job as John Kennex. He gives his character wit when faced with death. Urban played Judge Dredd in the remake of the film (which I still have to see and don't know why I haven't seen it since it also stars Lena Headey) and so I was saying "I am the law!" during at least once during the episode.

Michael Ealy does a good job as the neurotic Dorian. It turns out that there is a problem with how much energy can be spared to charge robots. This seems to be more of a "we wants this, but can't really explain why it happened".

All in all this was another good episode and I can't wait for next episode.


http://astore.amazon.com/jashykins-20

No comments:

Post a Comment