Saturday, January 11, 2014

Helix "Pilot" and "Vector" Reviews

I have been waiting a long time for this series. What attracted me to this series was the fact that it seemed to deal with the dangers of crossing the line. In science you can do so much but that doesn't mean you should. Plus the location would be remote which meant one of my favorite horror aspects (being too far away from help like in the movie The Thing) and SyFy wouldn't have to spend too much money on sets.

When the two part premiere aired I was glad that SyFy repeated it. This is since I am taking care of revrezner who is currently bedridden (but is doing so much better than before) and I had to take care of him during the premiere.

The series revolves around this team that gets called to investigate an outbreak. But the people in charge might not have the best of intentions.

Let's get the good things of the series out of the way first:

The fact that the location is far removed from anything helps allows SyFy to be cheap without any real impact on the show itself. Yes there were a couple of bad CG moments, but the majority of the episodes were full of creepy good special effects.

A simple moment when they unzip a body bag is gross. Just...ew! And the fact that how Peter swallows in the beginning is simple but oh so effective.

The remote location also makes all the tense moments even more tense. There's even a part of the Pilot where the helicopter goes away, but there is reassurance that it can come back at any time. However, a man is trying to escape on a faulty snowmobile and is murdered. So help might not even be possible if those in charge decide so.

While the fact that those in charge are corrupt without a doubt and those running the faculty work for some nameless organization/people, the reasons for doing the experiments aren't known. So there is still a mystery.

Doctor Boyle is one of my favorite characters so far. I can't really explain why at the moment except she makes me smile whenever she's around. And that mean she's going to die soon.

The thing that bugs me about this series so far is that the main dude has an ex that's on the team but he seems to want to start things up with another lady on the team and yet still likes his ex and the crazy guy in the beginning is his brother and banged the ex previously.

Luckily the show is managing to keep that part in the open and yet it isn't annoying me to the point of me wanting to turn the show off.

Alan and Peter are both sons to an abusive alcoholic father and that could be annoying. However, whenever Alan brings up his dad it's used to further the plot in a good fashion. So it hasn't gotten on my nerves yet.

I will be keeping up with this series and I hope I don't regret this decision. This will be the second show on SyFy that I keep up with.

Other SyFy Shows

No comments:

Post a Comment