This is a Skyrim/Alan Wake 2 fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.
This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.
SCOUTS-MANY-MARSHES
I drank the cheap ale that the inn had. It warmed my blood even if the taste nearly made me gag. The drink also helped ease my nerves just as Alex Casey’s Spiced Wine was doing to him. It didn’t escape my notice that he was drinking Jash’s preferred beverage of choice as if he needed some part of our husband with us now.
Alex had needed to come to Dawnstar in order to continue to be there for the dead boy’s parents in their time of mourning. The man looked like he was unmoved by those around him, but he had a kind heart deep inside that few were privileged enough to see.
So now we were in the Windpeak Inn as the talk with the parents hadn’t left us with enough time before sunset to return to Bloodchill Manor. I wouldn’t have minded staying in this pleasant inn if not for the fact that everyone, including the bards that were dedicating songs to my return, looked at me as if I were a miracle.
“We can return to our room.” Alex said as I touched where my missing horn had once been. “We don’t need to be out here.”
“It is ours to have my every action examined.” I replied. “The first town or city we entered would have garnered this response no matter how long we had waited.”
“They’re happy for Jash and don’t give a **** about you.”
“That is what it means to be married to him. We don’t only exist for ourselves now. We exist as extensions of him.”
“We’ve shown our faces long enough by this point. I think the bards are now on their fifth ballad dedicated to your return.”
“Are you not confusing my unease with yours? It is ours to notice your fear of being here since we arrived.”
Alex scoffed which was all the answer I needed.
My husband had sought to come here in order to mourn with the parents. That meant, of course, he had to lie to them about the nature of their boy’s death and Alex’s involvement with the Dark Brotherhood. It had seemed simple for the dryskin to conceal the truth but it came at a cost to him.
The grief in Alex’s voice had been the only true thing in his talks with the parents. It reassured me that he was not as cold as he tried to appear to the world. He had a heart that cared which might have motivated him to be a…an FBI agent back on Earth.
Even if there had been another reason, it must have helped him continue when he wanted to stop. It would also explain his current demeanor as what kind soul could face the evil of the world unscathed?
There was a part of myself in Alex: the conflict of loving Jash while not liking all of his actions. There was a beauty in our husband that made the coldness of his actions warm our hearts.
“I hadn’t expected to see you again, Scouts-Many-Marshes.” I turned to see Brina Merlitis. “It is hard to believe that Alduin was defeated. And since Jash slayed that foul beast, the Hist wouldn’t have been able to defend themselves against him. They will be too scared to attack Jash now.”
Alex merely nodded at the Jarl of Dawnstar. It was hers not to involve herself in the local inn unless there was a reason. I prayed to the Hist that this would be the last time I experienced such a warm welcome.
But would they listen to me if I had been taken from them? Would they curse me even if being torn from them hadn’t been my choice?
“It is ours to hope not.” I replied with a chuckle. “I am not a fighter like he is. I do not seek to find conflict.”
“You are too modest, Argonian!” Brina laughed and I could smell the alcohol thick on her breath. “Oh, and I will be paying for your and Alex’s drinks. This is a time to celebrate!”
With a final cheer she walked away which left me and Alex in the corner alone once more.
Alex took full advantage of the Jarl’s generosity while I couldn’t help but be more restrained. As the tension in my husband’s posture softened the bards played a familiar tune. With my miraculous appearance they had changed the words, though.
I smiled and stood up. Alex looked hopeful for a moment that I would go to our room but I was determined to disappoint him. When I stood by him I offered my hand and tilted my head to indicate where the patrons were dancing to the wild tune.
“I’m not a good dancer.” Alex snapped and glared at me.
“My husband, being a good dancer is not the point.” I replied with a smile.
“Then what is the point?”
I sighed. I had wanted to be coy to ease him into eventually opening himself up to the feelings he had for me. The feelings he clearly held for me.
But, by Sithis, he might only be swayed by the choice that could chase him away.
“Alex, I yearn to feel you lay your claim to me.” I admitted. “But you want time to deal with your own emotions and so I won’t beg for what is clearly not yet mine.”
“And what the **** do you call what you’re doing now, Scouts?” Alex asked, no longer glaring at me.
“Asking you for a dance. I will ask for nothing more. I will expect nothing more. And we can retire to our room if I have crossed a line.”
The change in Alex was instant and intense. There was no more anger or fear in him. Had my direct approach been the way to carve myself into his heart?
The dryskin gripped my hand and he led us to where the others were dancing. People moved away from us so that we could have enough room to join in the wild tune. But Alex had a different idea.
Alex put his arms around my neck and I held onto his hips. Instead of a frantic dance, he decided to slowly move us around. While slow and not in the spirit of the song, it somehow was just as wild and unpredictable.
“Is this one of your dances from Earth?” I asked as I rested my head on his shoulder.
“**** if I know.” Alex replied. “I’m drunk and I’m a **** dancer.”
I chuckled.

No comments:
Post a Comment