Saturday, May 4, 2024

Clint the Incel

Once I began playing Stardew Valley I thought it was just a silly farm and dating simulator. I didn't think that there was anything under the surface. I thought that I would love each and every villager. I was wrong.

Clint ended up being a character I just loathe. At first his crush on Emily was cute but then turned into something darker. I even learned to hate going to the movies with him as he gets drunk and tells me to be romantic with him. You can't romance him so there's no way you are going out on a date with him.

So here is a brief glimpse into my loathing of Clint.
The Love Could Have Been Cute

At first Clint's crush on Emily was cute and adorable. Here was a man that got nervous around the woman he loved and grew speechless. Yet time and time again he would do small things to try and win her heart. And, since Stardew Valley is so innocent at first, I never thought anything was up.

I admit the other thing that drew me into liking Clint was relating to his shyness. I am terrible around people and like to stay at home most of the time. It is impossible for me to make the first move in relationships. So I could empathize with what the blacksmith was going through.

Since I saw part of myself in Clint, I started to like the character. I hated that I didn't have the option to romance him.

Sadly this cute romance was not to last. This due to the fact that Clint isn't just shy around his crush, he is a creep. He crosses the line to the point that he really needs to do a lot of soul searching before having a romantic partner.
Credit
Clint Sees Emily as a Prize

So why is Clint an incel and generally creepy towards Emily?

One of Emily's hearts events is her doing clothing therapy. She wants to help people feel more free to be themselves. Clint, of course, comes to the event but gets scared about going out in his new look. When he comes back in and sees the two of you talking he congratulates you on getting Emily.

At this point you don't even have the ability to date Emily. When I got to this cutscene I was currently married to someone else (probably either Sebastian or Shane).

After this cutscene Clint stops talking to Emily like before. It was like he had cut her out of his life completely. Or at least as much as you can in a small town.

I can understand about getting jealous for no reason. Gods know I do that from time to time. But the thing is I either keep it inside or talk it out. One of the key reasons I've been with my husband for thirteen years now is communication. We discuss our insecurities and improve over time.

Clint, however, takes out all of his frustration on Emily as if it is her fault. He doesn't discuss anything. He doesn't keep his feelings to himself so they don't harm her.

How Clint is acting towards Emily does fit perfectly for someone who considers women a prize. To him she is something to be won. He is in constant competition with everyone. Again, you can be married to another character and Clint will still react the same way.
Emily isn't Interested in Dating Clint

While Clint sees Emily as a romantic prize, Emily sees Clint as merely a friend. While some people will say that's a bad thing, it isn't. The fact she doesn't pursue him should have been enough of a clue for him to accept being a friend. Or, at least, to find someone else to crush on.

One quest you're given is Clint's Attempt. In the quest Clint tells you to give Emily amethyst on his behalf. It's a romantic gesture on Clint's end and yet Emily thanks you. She doesn't care about the blacksmith's feelings. Thus helping to confirm that she only views him as a friend.

After Clint congratulates you on 'winning Emily', she is hurt that he doesn't communicate with her at all. She thought she had found a good friend, not someone who only wanted her for sex. I wanted to beat Clint up after this.

Emily is a very spiritually sensitive person which adds an interesting aspect to her relationship with Clint. She could have sensed, even if subconsciously, that Clint had a darker side to him. Thus she didn't form a romantic relationship with him.
Credit
Those are my opinions about Clint from Stardew Valley. Comment below with your opinions about Clint.

Remember you can submit ideas for future posts by commenting on this post. I also talk about other fandoms, so don't feel that you have to only submit ideas for Stardew Valley posts.

You can also submit guest posts HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment