Saturday, March 11, 2023

Scream VI (Mini-Review)

Scream VI is the sixth movie in the Scream franchise. Sam Carpenter is traumatized after being involved with the Ghostface killings. Now she hovers over her half-sister Tara to the annoyance of her younger sibling. Sam's fears turn out to be justified when Ghostface killings begin happening yet again. Scream VI was released in 2023. It was directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett. It stars Melissa Barrera, Jasmin Savoy Brown, Jack Champion, and Henry Czerny.

There is a brief post-credits scene. It is short, funny, and relevant.

I managed to guess the three killers but not their motive for killing. I also thought there was a fourth killer but was wrong about that. Which was why I couldn't hope to guess their motive. Near the end all three attack our heroes and it's a very well done sequence. There is tension in the reveal and final showdown.

Kirby returns as an FBI agent due to wanting to escape from the fear of Ghostface. She didn't want to be afraid of monsters anymore. When I saw her onscreen I was super excited. I knew that she hadn't been killed, the movie goes into more detail on that front, and the possibility of her return was always there. Her and Mindy, as they're both horrorhounds, share some amusing dialogue as they each try to size up the other.

The most amusing moment of the movie had to come when a character hangs up on Ghostface briefly. The shock in his voice made me laugh so much that it was hard to feel tension from the scene. I wanted to make sure that the scene had just happened. If I was watching it alone at home, I would have rewound it. If I was watching it with my husband, I would have paused the movie and tell him my feelings on the moment.

This Scream movie is one of the bloodiest entries. Especially the end fight where tensions are let loose. The killers revealed themselves and the ones remaining fight back with reckless abandon. Earlier in the movie is bloody too. A character finds their friend chopped up in a refrigerator. Someone falls out of a building and you're able to stare at the corpse for a little bit.

I am hoping that Stuart "Stu" Macher comes back in the sequel, if there is one. Scream 5 reminded viewers clearly about Stu. Then in this latest entry, the theory that Stu is still alive was brought up. It's a popular theory that I subscribe to. To me this constant bringing up of Stu has to hint at the character popping up in the next movie. There is no reason to focus on Stu so much for no payoff to happen. I mean...Sam has hallucinations of Billy Loomis. So wouldn't the perfect payoff be Stu finally reappearing? Or at least someone under the delusion that they are Stu?

I would highly recommend Scream VI to fans of the franchise. I would also highly recommend Scream VI to horrorhounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment