Monday, March 13, 2023

65 (Mini-Review)

65 is a science fiction movie. Mills, a pilot from the planet Somaris, is in charge of an expedition. On the return journey he crashes into Earth during the late Cretaceous period. All of the passengers are killed in their cryogenic sleep. Well...all but the small girl Koa. Problem is that she speaks a different language than him. So with everything against them, they must trek to the escape shuttle to get off the alien planet. 65 was released in 2023. It was directed by Scott Beck and Bryan Woods. It stars Adam Driver and Ariana Greenblatt.

There is no post-credits scene but at the start of the credits there is something. There's a montage of the landscape going from wilderness to a city. I couldn't watch all of it due to the fact that something gum-like was stuck to my shoe and the start of the credits was when I could finally look at my shoe.

I didn't realize Adam Driver is a former marine, though I think I knew that but just forgot, until I looked up trivia for this movie. This makes sense as his acting was too good in the movie. There was something about how he held and used a gun that didn't seem faked. While watching the movie I thought I was just fangirling really hard. I did decide to see this movie in large part due to the draw of Adam Driver and dinosaurs.

When the asteroid causes Mills to crash and he brought up it was probably only part of something larger, my brain didn't make the connection. My brain only got into gear when Koa looked at the asteroid in the sky. In the late Cretaceous period an asteroid crashed into the Earth causing the mass extinction of dinosaurs. This imminent extinction level event helps give the movie a lot of tension due to there only be a small amount of time to escape Earth. Every action and inaction is important.

My theater was a lot more crowded than I thought it would be. I had expected, with the poor marketing, that not many people would show up to watch it. By the time trailers started, the crowd seemed to be bigger than the one for Scream VI. I guess when your movie is Adam Driver and dinosaurs, people will come to watch it. Plot does not matter at that point.

There weren't as many dinosaurs as I expected. Large portions of the movie were dinosaur free. Though, I guess, it also allowed the creatures to never wear out their welcome. Every encounter was tense. Every encounter was also sad as the dinosaurs were fighting to survive when they were going to die soon anyway. Why fight when things are so hopeless?

Mills and Koa were a wonderful pair to watch. The fact they couldn't fully understand the other made their relationship have some real depth. Mills had to lie to Koa about her family still being alive to better motivate the kid. At one point he admits to her his deception even though he knows she can't understand him. During one cute scene he allows her to put a flower in his hair just to make her happy.

I would recommend 65 to those looking for a fun science fiction movie. I would also recommend 65 to those that like looking at Adam Driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment