Sunday, February 19, 2023

Quantumania (Mini-Review)

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania is the latest entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). Scott Lang has put his superhero days long behind him. After helping save the world from Thanos, he wrote a book about his many adventures. His daughter, Cassie, yearns to do something for the world which goes against Scott's views. Scott, Cassie, Hope, Hank, and Janet find themselves taken to the Quantum Realm when Cassie's experiment goes awry. There Janet's past will try to take away everything she has ever loved. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania was released in 2023. It was directed by Peyton Reed. It stars Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Jonathan Majors, Kathryn Newton, David Dastmalchian, and  Katy O'Brian.

I first saw Katy O'Brian in the SyFy series Z Nation. She appeared in the final season as George, the future leader of Newmerica. The series is extremely low budget so if that's not your cup of tea, you probably won't enjoy it. Anyways...ever since then if I see her in a movie or show I get very excited. O'Brian did a great job on the show and deserves bigger roles. Throughout the movie I didn't recognize her as Jentorra. Though I had a feeling I knew her from somewhere and I had highly enjoyed her previous performances. But it wasn't until I saw the cast that I knew she was in a Marvel movie!

As this is an MCU movie, there is a mid and post credit scene. Mid-Credit scene helps set the stage for what will happen next with Kang. The post-credit is like a small preview of Loki's second season.

I liked Kathryn Newton in Supernatural and am glad to see her getting a role in the MCU. But...I feel bad for Emma Fuhrmann only getting to play Cassie Lang in one movie that she was barely in. I'm interested in what Fuhrmann would have brought to the role. Even if she wasn't as good as Newton, she deserved more of a chance. That being said, Newton did a great job with the role. She made Cassie feel real and someone you would want to root for.

This review is full of me talking about being happy to see actors in the MCU. So let's not break that trend! Jonathan Majors was a great protagonist of HBO's Lovecraft Country. Like that show, Majors gives a lot of depth to Kang the Conqueror. You're able to understand how people would fall under the sway of such a person when he's kind. You also see cracks to his facade whenever people start to realize who he is.

Scott Lang is comfortable in his quiet life and I don't blame him. He's had enough trauma in his life to last a few lifetimes. If I were him I wouldn't want to add anymore heroics to my reputation. Especially with a daughter he has in his life. Though with how he listens to an audiobook of his own autobiography, his quiet life probably has more to do with wanting to get fame and riches. It isn't until Cassie's life is threatened that he commits to a fight.

Oh, before I forget, we finally get Scott back into his Baskin-Robbins uniform! That is, hands down, my favorite outfit Scott has ever been in.

I would highly recommend Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania to fans of the MCU. I would also recommend Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania to those that want a fun science fiction movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment