Friday, January 26, 2018

A Marriage of Convenience Chapter 4: A Moment of Calm Broken

This is a Game of Thrones fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This chapter has been edited due to content. There were a few big sex scenes cut down. I also made minor edits throughout the chapter. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.


DAENERYS TARGARYEN
Once the sun had fully set I had made my way over to the cliff I was to meet Jorah at tonight. Through small gestures that seemed like long conversations to us, we had planned to **** tonight. It had taken all my effort to remain calm so that no one noticed my excitement.

I had started walking toward the cliff as if I were deep in thought. I doubted anyone would question why I seemed to be lost in my mind as my conquest hadn't gone as smoothly as I had planned. Within a short time I was at the cliff and started waiting for my sweet bear. Waiting gave me time to think about the plan. ******* Jon was a minor problem compared to using him. He was falling for me and yet I didn't love him. I was using him merely so that I could get what I wanted.

It was times like these that I wanted to hear Tyrion's advice. I needed someone wise and who could give a more objective opinion than Jorah. The Imp was very well versed in the game and would be more knowledgeable in deciding if the plan was actually a good move. Maybe he could casually talk to Jon and figure out if he was actually against polygamy. I didn't like using the bastard and yet I would continue doing so. It could be that years in the future, long after I had gotten the Iron Throne, that I would learn to love him.

After an hour of waiting I got bored. As long as I stayed in this general area, I would notice when Jorah arrived. I started to think about the morality of using Jon as I walked. It was only after awhile that I realized where I was. I had done a loop and was now approaching the path I had taken to the cliff a different way. Luckily if I had wandered too close to Jorah's path, no one would guess why we were both out. No one would figure out about our affair. Unfortunately that also meant I wouldn't be able to make love to him tonight as I had planned.
I turned my head as I heard a sound. Jon and Ghost were walking towards me. The direwolf looked as if he were on a mission and Jon had no choice but to follow. Sometimes the bastard would allow Ghost to wander around without him, but that was never the case at night. Once we started sleeping together I would find out why that was the case. For now it was a mystery to me.

"You're out late." Jon said.

"I could say the same about you." I replied.

"Ghost seems more than intent to keep walking around tonight. At least he won't burn me alive if I try to get him back in."

"If you're not afraid of him, why not force him to go inside?"

"Just a feeling that he knows something important."

Did Ghost know? Did the symbol of House Stark guess how I was using his master? I felt relief that the creature couldn't speak. He could know many secrets but couldn't say anything. If he knew about this meeting tonight was he attempting to catch me and Jorah in the act? No, I was just worrying too much. Direwolves were intelligent but they couldn't understand about affairs. Ghost couldn't even comprehend how I was using Jon.

"You should get control of your direwolf." I told him. "You can look for whatever he's trying to show you in the morning. If you get hurt, no one will be around to help you."

A small smile graced his face and I wondered if he thought it was because I loved him. I hadn't given him the warning because the thought of him dead scared me, it was because if he died I couldn't solidify my claim as much. I did care for him, but only to the extent I did any other friend.

"You should be just as concerned about yourself as you are me." Jon said with concern in his voice. "It's late at night and no one is out here."

No, no one but myself and Jorah were supposed to be out here. With no one around we could let out our cries of passion. I wanted to fall asleep in his arms and wake up to his face. One day when the wars were over and Jon was away from King's Landing I could wake up in Jorah's arms. But that would not be for some time.

"I am nervous." I lied. "I don't know if I can conquer the Seven Kingdoms. I don't know if I can overthrow Cersei Lannister and reclaim my birthright. Sometimes I just need to walk and not be by anyone. I was so lost in my own thoughts that I didn't realize where I was going."

Jon nodded as he bought my lie. Ghost, though, seemed to want to say something but he couldn't. As I let the bastard lead me back to my room I knew Jorah wouldn't be with me tonight. But there was nothing that could be done for that. He would realize I wasn't able to come to him and then go back to his room. I wondered how long he would wait for me. I guessed all night as he was the kind of man that would do that.

"I will leave you." Jon said and was about to leave until I grabbed his arm.

I was still extremely ***** as I hadn't had a chance to relieve myself. I was already supposed to **** Jon so he was a good way for me to let off steam now. He followed me into the room as Ghost stood guard outside.
Jon didn't make any move and I could tell that he was nervous. More than nervous. I took one of Jon's hands and put it on my waist. I smiled as he gripped me and I guessed he was trying to calm himself.

"Have you never been with a woman?" I teased him.

"It's not that." Jon replied and didn't elaborate.

Instead of explaining himself he looked into my eyes. He was losing himself in me and I felt guilty for that. If only I truly loved him and didn't have to feel bad for doing this. But, as I had found out from a young age, you had to fight for everything you got. I had never had a moment of peace where I had all the freedom in the world to decide what to do. I allowed him to make the next move as I didn't want to frighten him away. I didn't want him to feel afraid of me. One wrong move and I might mess everything up.

Soon enough we were both naked and I was starting to mount him.

"I'm...I'm sorry." Jon said and shook his head. "I...I...I can't do this. I'm sorry."

"What are you worried about?" I asked. "There is nothi-"

"I'm sorry."
He then left my chambers without any clothes on. I would have to have someone return them to him later. I would also have to figure out why Jon had left all of a sudden. He had been very aroused and yet...yet he had left me. Had he figured out how I was using him? Had Ghost informed Jon of the plan? Had they both been wandering at night for the sole purpose of finding me?

I thought about going back towards the cliff but decided against it. While no one would guess about me meeting Jorah there, going back out would still be met with some suspicion. Talk might start of me being so devastated by Jon's refusal tonight and I couldn't allow that. I wanted people to think I was in love with him, not that I became weak because of my love for him.

With a sigh I went to lay in my bed. I lay on a bed that was soft and comforting. If only Jorah was with me now. His body poised above mine and ready to serve me in whatever manner I needed. Since I had no other man to serve me now, I had to pleasure myself.


With a pleasant fantasy of Jorah, I quickly pleasured myself.

"Daenerys?" Missandei asked as she knocked on my door.

I wrapped a sheet around me and opened the door just enough to let Missandei in. My breath was uneven as I was still calming down from ************. I was still calming down from the images of Jorah that were even now going through my mind. If only I had been able to meet with him tonight and not have to rely on fantasies.

"What is it?" I asked as calmly as I could.

"Jon wants his clothes back." Missandei replied. "The men are enjoying him running around naked. Especially Tyrion who is commenting on certain parts."

I nodded and let my dearest friend gather up Jon's clothing. I still didn't know what I had done wrong with Jon. I should be in his arms now as both of us fell asleep. Instead he was running around the island naked. If I didn't figure out what I had done wrong I might lose him. Losing him would mean my grip on the Iron Throne would go away. What if I had told him if he ****** me tonight I would allow him on the Iron Throne? That the North would become part of the Seven Kingdoms again but with a Stark in charge.

"He must not have been that good if you had to finish yourself off." My friend teased me.

"We didn't actually do anything." I told her. "We got to taking each other's clothes off and then nothing. I don't think if we actually continued that he would disappoint me."

"Do you think Jorah would?"

I looked at her. No, she didn't know. She also had no idea that I had *********** to a fantasy of Jorah either. Just the thought of him made me extremely aroused. She didn't know any of that and I would not let her know. Even though I could trust Missandei with the secret of my affair, I didn't want to risk it.

"I didn't mean anything by it." Missandei replied.

"Do you normally fantasize about other men?" I asked her. "What about Grey Worm?"

"I am never going to leave Grey Worm, but that doesn't mean I'm blind. Sometimes I'm bored and I decide to imagine. It's not a common game for me."

In her voice I heard a lie but I couldn't tell anymore than that. I didn't know what she was lying about. Her whole reply seemed off to me. It could be that she was actually interested in Jorah. For some reason that idea made me angry. It felt strange to be jealous when I knew Jorah wasn't interested in her. Was this what he had felt when I had been married to Khal Drogo? When I had slept with Daario Naharis? Was this what he had to deal with all these years of serving me? He had been a much stronger man than I had ever imagined.

"Ser Jorah has had two wives." I said, trying to keep my voice calm. "I guess he has experience at least."

 I wanted to ask Missandei more about why she was so interested in my sweet bear. I wanted to be assured that she had just let her mind wander. She had been used as a whore and translator before I saved her. That made her game very odd. But if I asked her more about it I might find her asking me questions. She could easily ask me questions that I could not answer. Answers that I couldn't give her.

"Good night, my queen." Missandei said with a bow before she left.


JORAH MORMONT
When Jon had found me I had been frightened and not just because of Ghost. I had been paying so much attention to make sure that no one was following me that any sound would have scared me. My senses had been on high alert as I had to make sure that no one would be near where I was to meet up with Daenerys.

As the conversation with Jon had gone on I had grown more impatient. While Jon was good company,  he was not what I wanted at the moment. I wanted to feel Daenerys' **** yet again. All day I had been waiting to finally meet with her again. Yet Jon had found his way to me and I had to hide my intentions. Part of me felt guilty for fooling Jon but it had to be done. I cared for my queen and needed to make sure she would be happy. If I died in the war or from old age, I wanted to make sure she had something to make her forget my absence.
Now I had been waiting for hours for Daenerys to arrive. I had stood for awhile and then I had sat. Too soon the night turned into morning. I watched as the colors in the sky slowly changed. I found the most comfortable place I could and decided to get at least an hour of sleep.

It would have been easy to blame Khaleesi for not arriving but I didn't. The only reason she hadn't shown up last night was because something had happened. I knew she wouldn't endanger the plan. It was possible she had run into Jon and therefore couldn't come to me. Ghost might be trying to warn Jon of deception. I didn't doubt the intelligence of a direwolf.
* * *
It was yet another meeting where plans were discussed. Plans for Daenerys to win the Iron Throne that hadn't been working out. Only her attack on the loot train had been a success. And even then she had made the mistake of burning the Tarlys alive. As usual, I had taken my place behind my queen. Her beauty deadly as a dragon.

"You can't just ride on your three dragons, Daenerys." I reminded her. "Drogon was shot down once, he can be shot down again. Maybe this time with you falling from him. The Lannisters might have another weapon waiting there for all we know."

Daenerys ignored me and I could tell it wasn't to hide our affair. She still continued to believe her dragons couldn't die even after Drogon had been shot down. To think that she could've died that day before I returned was a nightmare that haunted me. However, riding on Drogon was still the safest way to travel.

"In any case you can't just burn down Highgarden." Tyrion said. "There aren't just those loyal to House Lannister, there are the common people that take no sides. Who don't have a choice for who they serve. Not like we do."

"You are right, Tyrion." Daenerys replied and acted as if my advice had meant nothing.

For the past hour if I said anything she would seem to ignore it. Only mentioning my presence when it would be disrespectful not to. Except for my last statement, she did this to hide the fact that she was close to me. Extremely close. I caught a passing glance of longing now. She couldn't turn her head to look at me but I could see the longing. If only I could show my love openly. If only we didn't have to fool Jon.

"We should be focusing on overthrowing Cersei, not taking back one castle." I said. "Once you are on the Iron Throne you will have the ability to take back Highgarden. We don't need to waste resources now."

"And what about all the resources Highgarden has to offer?" Daenerys asked. "Winter will be here soon and there are supplies there that will be more than valuable."

"Highgarden isn't the only place with food." Tyrion pointed out. "I am sure other Houses will be stocking up with food soon. Those loyal to you are sure to spare food for your army."

Daenerys considered the advice she had been given for a few minutes. Retaking Highgarden for her was a matter of pride. I wanted to make her happy which sometimes meant every dream of hers couldn't be fulfilled. With all the losses we had accumulated, we couldn't risk more of our men lost. There were more important battles to be won at the moment.

"You are both right." Daenerys said bitterly. "When I can take it back I will. Which means I need to get rid of Cersei as soon as I can."

Her response signaled the end of the meeting. I looked at her and wanted to comfort her. I had heard about her and Jon the other night. I looked at her and she shook her head indicating she didn't have sex with him. As it was a brief moment of calm she knew I would want to know about the rumors. With my own small gestures I gave her as much reassurance as I could risk. I wanted her to know that she would have other chances with the bastard in the future. This was far from the end.

"You can go now, Ser Jorah." She told me as Tyrion stood in the doorway.

Her voice was harsh and yet I could feel the kindness underneath. She had a part to play, one that sometimes consisted of pushing a former friend away, and she did so well. I gave her a slight nod of my head and then I left. Maybe in the future these partings would be easier but I doubted it. Even though I knew she loved me, it tore at my heart not to be able to show others that. But if the plan failed then my queen's happiness would falter.

Tyrion and I walked a short distance in silence. This was strange for the Imp as he wasn't one to be quiet. I should be grateful to have some peace from him and yet I wasn't. Ever since Daenerys had burned the Tarlys alive he had been somewhat reserved. It was as if he was doubting his loyalties. As long as he continued to serve her I would not hold his doubts against him. Aerys had been a ruthless ruler and the Imp just wanted to earn some redemption.

"Daenerys is being too distant with you." Tyrion finally said. "I can understand why but...it does seem to be somewhat excessive."

"We were in a meeting." I replied. "It was a formal setting. You can't expect her to show me any affection there."
"It isn't just in the meetings. It is everywhere at every time. You barely look at each other anymore. She doesn't just need an advisor and lover, she needs a friend. I know she doesn't tell me everything and I doubt she will ever fully open up to Jon. She needs your strength, Jorah."

I kept the same expression I usually had on my face. Inside, though, I was glad about his little speech. He knew that Daenerys and myself were two parts of a whole. He knew that without me our queen might fall. Tyrion had enough of a kind tone that I thought of telling him the truth. I thought of reassuring him with the fact Daenerys and I were closer than ever. But I couldn't risk it. If he told Varys who knows who else would find out? And Tyrion was friends with Jon he might tell the bastard. But would the Imp really risk the Seven Kingdoms for Ned's son?

"I am also sure that she thinks of you." Tyrion continued. "You were her closest friend and only advisor for so long that she must. Not in a romantic sense, but you will never leave her mind."

"Sometimes people move on." I said as the image of my second wife appeared in my mind. "Sometimes no matter what you do, some will always leave you. I am just grateful that Daenerys has allowed me to continue serving her."

I was more than grateful that she had allowed me to love her as I had so longed to do. The taste of her was the most euphoric memory I had. If the facade we showed the others were true, I would still feel grateful to serve her. To see her succeed was something I needed to live. Tyrion fell silent again and I decided to overstep my bounds.

"And why does it concern you?" I asked him. "I didn't think you had an opinion. As long as she marries Jon I thought you would be happy."

"Of course I want her to marry Jon." Tyrion said harshly. "But that is no reason for her to abandon you."

"It does not fall to me to question her. As long as I am by her side I am content."

"And that is your flaw."

We were now close to his room as he wanted a drink. He drank whenever he could. He wasn't always picky in what type of alcohol he consumed. If wine wasn't available I was sure he would find something else. Sometimes he would invite me to drink but those were rare occurrences.

"The next thing of worry for me will be how to convince Lyanna Mormont to forgive you." Tyrion said. "If she doesn't then we might have a problem."

I nodded in agreement. If my cousin didn't accept me back then Lyanna might stop her support until I was killed. Or maybe she would allow me to be exiled. There was also the possibility that she would continue her support while hoping I would die in one of the wars. She was right to be angry at me as what I had done was beyond forgiveness. If she wanted me executed, I would allow that to happen. I had been running from my fate for far too long.

"Ser Jorah, I think your wise console deserves a drink." Tyrion said once we reached his door.

I stayed silent and followed him in. There was nothing I could do to escape this.
* * *
I was in my place behind Daenerys. It was dark now and candlelight lit the room with a sense of foreboding. Unlike earlier there were many others in the room now. Daenerys, myself, Tyrion, Jon, Davos, Gendry, and a few others. All of us nervous.

My head hurt slightly from the drinking I had endured earlier. Tyrion had figured the best way for me to forget Daenerys was to make me feel dead. Luckily the hardest part of the hangover had passed me by. While I dealt with my own problems, I could see the Imp was able to act normal. Most likely because he was used to drinking.

"I received a letter from Winterfell." Jon said.
We were all silent as the letter could change the plan. It might be that whatever was contained in the letter made Jon want to abandon Daenerys. My love and I exchanged a fleeting glance before quickly looking back at Jon. In those brief moments we had had a long discussion. Whatever happened we would work to accommodate Jon. We would show him that we were worthy allies.

Daenerys thought of trying to seduce him but I argued against it as we didn't know why he had refused her. We had to find out that before trying the technique again. It could just be that he was nervous and needed time. He was a bastard, even if he now bore the title of King of the North, and might feel bedding a queen somewhat daunting.

Our conversation had been a silent one that no one else in the room had taken note of. All they would see was a queen and her advisor sharing a small meaningless glance.


JON SNOW
"It wasn't right." I said as I petted Ghost.

I was now fully clothed in my room. The night before had been a disaster. Everything I felt for Daenerys had taken control of me and I had nearly disrespected Ygritte. The Targaryen was a beautiful woman that seemed to be from another realm, but she wasn't the one who had my heart. She wasn't the one who clutched at my heart even though she was no longer alive.

"What would Ygritte say if she had seen me?" I continued. "I know she's waiting on the other side. I can't go back to her and tell her I took another woman."

To Melisandre and others I had talked about there not being an afterlife. I had talked about it being dark and that nothing was there. The truth was I had lied. Not lied but hadn't told the truth either. What I had seen after I had been murdered was beyond description. Was beyond words, thoughts, and feelings. Nothing and dark were the only ways I could describe it. I knew if I searched that land long enough I would find Ygritte. I had already felt her when I had died the first time.

"What I felt with Daenerys was good." I said as I pushed my head into Ghost's fur in shame. "It felt more than good. She was...I don't know how I had the strength to stop."

I stood up and lay on my bed. A few seconds later Ghost jumped up to join me. The large direwolf barely fit on the bed. I chuckled as it felt like the bed was about to break. It was the middle of the day and yet I was here. There wasn't much for me to do today so I had decided to take some time to think. Time to think about the White Walkers and time to think about Daenerys.

"I should tell her I don't want to share her bed." I told him. "I'll tell her that I need to keep the respect of my men."

Ghost cocked his head and I sighed. He knew I was lying. Of course the insane part of me would continue to seek Daenerys out. It was if a strong force was pushing me towards her and I couldn't resist. At least he would protect me if anything should happen, though I didn't think horrible things awaited me once I shared Daenerys' bed.

"Jon Snow." A Dothraki's voice said behind my door.

"Come in." I replied and Ghost jumped off the bed.

I stood up and my direwolf took his place beside me. The Dothraki entered carrying a letter. The man said nothing more as he wasn't well versed in the common tongue. He left as soon as the letter was gone from his hands. I looked at it once I was alone.

I nearly fell over once I started reading it. Arya and Bran were alive. Both were in Winterfell. They were alive! Walking as calmly as I could I found Davos and took him away from his present company. He was very confused until I showed him the letter. His reaction was similar to mine. Arya was alive. Bran was alive. The family I thought I had lost was alive. I had to go back there and see them again. For once the dead could wait. It had been so long since I had seen either of them. Gendry would be more than pleased that Arya was alive.

"We have to go to Winterfell." I told Davos. "I will not lose my family again."

I thought of seeing Arya again and wrapping my arms around her. I wanted to feel her against me and make sure she was alright. I didn't expect her to cry but, instead, to be excited about my return. Maybe she'd even tell me stories how she survived so long. I wanted to know all about her adventures. She was the family member I had missed most of all and the only one who had haunted my dreams.
"How soon can we return?" I continued. "I think I can convince Daenerys to let me go for a little bit. I am sure she will still be willing to make an alliance with me after my request."

I might have to **** her, though, which was a pleasing thought. I might have to calm her that way. It could be that if I convinced myself ******* her was part of my duty as King that I could find pleasure in her. The other night I had wanted to feel every part of her as I claimed her. And she would have claimed me for hours.

"I would advise against that, Jon." Davos said sternly. "We can't go back to Winterfell without dragonglass. We must also try to wait for Daenerys Targaryen to form an alliance with you. We can't go back just because Arya and Bran are alive. You would be harming your cause if you did go back."

"We have already mined dragonglass." I argued. "We've already done enough to please the North."

"No we haven't and you know that."

He was right and yet I needed to go back home. There the confusing thoughts I had about Daenerys could be deciphered. There I could focus on my real goal which was to destroy the Night King. I was sure that no matter the trouble my return caused that the North would follow me again. They would follow what I said and Sansa would help me. She might even decide that my return was worth her forgiving me for leaving.
* * *
I was in one of the very few meetings I was allowed in. While Daenerys liked me, she still didn't allow me in certain parts due to me not actually being an ally at this time. Jorah stood in his place and looked over the room with his hawk-like gaze. I looked at him and then focused on Daenerys. It was her that I would have to convince, not him.

"I have received a letter from Winterfell." I said and put the letter on the Painted Table. "Arya and Bran Stark are alive. Bran says that the Night King is approaching Eastwatch."

The part about Bran's warning was something I kept forgetting. It had nearly driven Davos mad with how little I paid attention to it. I needed to see my family so badly I had forgotten my mission. Being down South was doing nothing for my state of mind. It was becoming harder to think here. Especially whenever I looked at Daenerys, no matter how briefly. Hopefully I could convince Daenerys to allow me to stop at Winterfell and gather an army before heading to Eastwatch. She might agree as she would see no reason to rush into battle with an enemy that she didn't believe exists. The only problem I saw now was is if she asked me to bend the knee again.

"So we have an idea where this fabled army of the dead is." Tyrion said. "This could be very useful. One problem facing us is convincing the people of Westeros that there is an army of the dead. That Jon isn't just making things up. If we can bring back a wight and show my sister, there is a very good chance that we can have her ally with us. At least until the army of the dead is defeated and we can resume our conflict with her."

As usual whenever Tyrion spoke I felt insulted and complimented at the same time. I wouldn't complain now as he was helping me with my own goals. It could be that he truly believed in what I said but just couldn't say anything out loud.

"I will go North." Jorah said and I was shocked.

And so was Daenerys.

She just looked at him as she was unable to say anything.

Could it be that this was a sign that he was finally deciding to move on from her? It would be good for him to find someone to love and who loved him back. While my father had been the one ordered to kill Jorah, I didn't hate the man.

"I came back to serve you." Jorah said gently. "So let me serve you."

No, it wasn't a sign he was moving on. It was a sign that he was stuck in his need for Daenerys. It was a sign that he could never move on and it was right for the Targaryen to put such a distance between them. Her response showed that she did still care for him and it probably hurt her that she couldn't have a proper friendship. If only Jorah knew how to treat her properly.

I then realized that I had to impress her. What if she did decide she had made a mistake? Could it be she did love him and would realize he was the better one for her? I couldn't allow her to pass me by. I wouldn't allow that. I wanted her which meant I also had to impress her.

"I will go to Eastwatch." I told Daenerys.

"I haven't given you permission to leave." She replied with pain in her voice.

"With respect, Your Grace, I don't need your permission. I am a king."

I hoped that did impress her. Unlike Jorah, I had gotten the more emotional response from her. As I looked at him I saw the usual glare that I could not decipher. Most of the others in the room were shocked that I would be so disrespectful to Daenerys. With everyone's eyes on me I left with Davos at my side.

"You could have been a little more subtle back there." Davos reprimanded. "It is lucky that everyone is assured of your honor or you might have made some enemies."

"I think I made an enemy of Jorah." I said as his look even now haunted me.

"Jorah? He respects you according to Gendry. That man's glare is one of the hardest to read. In any case he was just angry at you for disrespecting Daenerys. He might have even been worried about you dying."

"Why would he be? He wants Daenerys and with me dad he's that much closer to her."

"He is loyal to his queen which means he might protect those she loves."

No, he might respect me but I didn't think he accepted the mission to protect me. He wanted Daenerys' love just as badly as I did. He had guessed that I would accept the mission and so would offer his service before I did. Or maybe he had offered to go on a suicide mission in hopes I would go too just to impress Daenerys. Even though this mission was a competition, I would treat him with respect. The queen had shown worry about him going which meant she did still care for him. Which meant I had to be friendly with him or risk her affections.
I started getting ready and focused on the mission instead of Daenerys. If I messed this up then I could die which meant I would never see her again. Ghost was not happy during all of this as he wouldn't be joining me. It felt as if I were going to face my enemy naked, but it had to be done. If he died going on a mission to impress Daenerys I would never forgive myself.

"I will be back, Ghost." I promised him. "If I don't return then it will be your duty to protect Daenerys. Do you understand me?"

Ghost growled in response and I could tell he wasn't happy. For some strange reason I thought he didn't like the idea of guarding Daenerys more than the thought of me dying. But that wasn't something I could focus on now.

No comments:

Post a Comment