Monday, April 17, 2023

Renfield (Mini-Review)

Renfield is a horror comedy that focuses on Dracula's servant. Decades ago Renfield became Dracula's familiar but now he recognizes the toxicity of their relationship. The problem is figuring out how to finally become his own person. Things are made even more complicated with his growing feelings towards a police officer, Dracula's plans for world domination, and a mob seeking revenge. Renfield was released in 2023. It was directed by Chris McKay. It stars Nicholas Hoult, Awkwafina, and Ben Schwartz.

While there is no post-credits scene, I still recommend you stay for the credits. Different moments of the movie are made to look like they're from a much older film. It's a very fun and creative way to end the movie.

This movie knows not to take itself too seriously. It knows it isn't a super serious movie and leans into the goofy side of things. Even when blood and body parts are going everywhere, there's a sense of fun instead of overwhelming dread. Such as at one point Renfield accidentally hits a guy in the head so hard it flies off. Nicolas Cage as Dracula is equal parts terrifying and funny. He does his thing of eating up the scenery while still showing how good of an actor he is.

At its core this movie is about moving on from toxic relationships. It's about acknowledging that you are important and aren't powerless. That those who abuse you are lying when they say you're worthless. If someone like Renfield can stand up against Dracula, I feel I can stand up against anyone. My dad is emotionally abusive to me and I have to stay in contact with him due to financial reasons. But I've left his house and have made a life for myself. I'm not worthless. I'm not powerless. The only power my dad has over my psyche is the power I give him.

There is a fun amount of gore. The comedic tone of the movie helps things from feeling overly gory. Even when Renfield pulls off the arms of one guy, it is amusing. Honestly one of the funniest bits of the movie for me. Some scenes of massacre are horrific such as Dracula getting angry at a few people. But, for the most part, all the gore isn't scary. If you are squeamish, though, I would recommend waiting until Renfield leaves theaters.

I've liked following Nicholas Hoult's career. In some roles he is the sweetest person ever that only deserves the best. In other roles he deserves to be brutally killed for what he has done. In all roles he seems to become lost in his character. This movie is no different. He's a man who is beyond broken and just wishes to do something else with his life. You can see how he wants to change but is confused if he should because of Dracula's control over him.

I would highly recommend Renfield to those wanting a fun horror comedy. I would also recommend Renfield to fans of Nicholas Hoult. I would also recommend Renfield to those wanting to see Nicolas Cage as Dracula.

No comments:

Post a Comment