Sunday, April 2, 2023

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (Mini-Review)

Honor Among Thieves is the fourth Dungeons & Dragons movie. It is not connected to the other three movies. Edgin Darvis and Holga Kilgore escape prison to find his daughter. The pair were part of a group of thieves whose last heist went terribly wrong. But upon being reunited with his daughter, he finds that not only were they betrayed but a fellow companion had poisoned her mind against him. Now Edgin and Holga must form a new team so past mistakes can be corrected. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves was released in 2023. It was directed by Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley. It stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, and Justice Smith.

I don't know if it was this way for everyone, but just before the movie there was a short presentation of all the actors thanking people for seeing it in theaters. They talked about how seeing movies in movie theaters is the correct way to watch them. I know theaters are running into problems, but most movies can be seen at home with nothing lost. One of the rarities that needs to be seen in theaters is Underwater (2020). Also, some people don't have the money to see movies in theaters. The only reason I'm able to see so many movies in theaters is because I have AMC Stubs. Plus I keep concessions down to only $10 USD every visit.

There is a brief mid-credits scene that shows how a minor character is faring. It is highly amusing and shouldn't be missed for anything.

I'm not a big Dungeons & Dragons person, but that's mainly due to not finding a group. I played in college and I briefly played with friends online. Though I was pushed out of the group as I guess what I liked didn't fit in with what everyone else wanted. Can't a dwarf be a cannibal? It was hilarious! I did play some Pathfinder (I think) but that was when I took over my husband's character as he didn't care that much about the game. His character was brutish and not to my tastes. But was still fun. This is all to say there are probably a lot of things I didn't pick up in the movie.

The movie does a good job with balancing serious and amusing scenes. There are some hard hitting scenes but also ones that make you laugh out loud. A woman in the theater must have nearly passed out with how much she was laughing at certain points. All in all it gave me the same feelings playing a good Dungeons and Dragons campaign did.

The movie takes place in the Forgotten Realms. Since I've read a few books back in the day from that series, it explains why I recognized some of the names. I'm glad it wasn't just me imagining things. Besides eventually doing a Dragonlance re-read (at first only the main ones and then possibly branching out), I might just need to do a Forgotten Realms re-read. Though that will mostly be me getting to books I hadn't read before.

One of the few things I didn't like was how little screentime Sofina gets. From the trailers it seemed like she would play a much bigger part. Yes, she does things from the shadows to get what she wants. She even torments herself working with a narcissistic man to make sure her plan doesn't fail. Yes, there is a good fight with her near the end of the movie. Yet something was missing for me.

I would highly recommend Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves to fans of the series. With the exception being those players that are extremely opinionated about who can change into owlbears. I would also recommend Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves to those that want a fun fantasy adventure movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment