Monday, March 27, 2023

John Wick: Chapter 4 (Mini-Review)

John Wick: Chapter 4 picks up shortly after the previous movie. John Wick now seeks to become a peaceful man. But to get a chance at that kind of life, lots of blood will have to be spilt first. Meanwhile John's allies find themselves in the crosshairs of the Marquis Vincent de Gramont. The man has been granted unlimited power by the High Table to kill John once and for all. John Wick: Chapter 4 was released in 2023. It was directed by Chad Stahelski. It stars Keanu Reeves, Donnie Yen, Bill SkarsgÄrd, and Laurence Fishburne.

There is a post-credits scene that shows how two characters from the film are dealing with things. It could also hint at the future of the franchise.

Lance Reddick died shortly before the movie was released. His death hit me a little harder than I expected. So I was prepared for some uneasiness while watching the movie. A feeling that could best be described as bittersweet. He is gone but at least I would see him one last time.

The action sequences, as usual, are beyond amazing. Unlike a lot of movies the fights look real. It looks like people are really fighting since there aren't a million cuts to hide the fact the actors aren't that athletic. The fight sequences are long and yet don't drag on. Each set piece is different so you're never bored. Some of the environments John finds himself in require him to use his wits to figure out how to survive. There are also new characters we meet that flesh out the world.

Caine is an interesting new character. He is a friend of John's and so he's asked to become an assassin for the High Table by the Marquis. The only reason he agrees is so his daughter won't be murdered. Besides his backstory being good, he has a unique style of fighting. This is due to the fact that he's blind. So for him to be able to slaughter people he has to be extremely skilled. I would love to learn more about Caine in the future.

John Wick is like a machine in this movie. He gets thrown down onto and into things that should have shattered his spine. A night or two ago I moved slightly wrong and my body acted like I was seconds away from death. When watching the fourth John Wick movie my back was still sore. So watching John decimate his back...it hurt me.

The tracker following John is someone I hope we see more of in the future. He states his name as Mr. Nobody and I'm reminded of Odysseus. Basically he blinded a mythical creature and lied about his name being Nobody. So the creature couldn't get help because people thought that nobody had hurt the creature. I'm wondering if the tracker goes by Mr. Nobody for that reason.

I would highly recommend John Wick: Chapter 4 to fans of the franchise. I would also highly recommend John Wick: Chapter 4 to someone who wants to watch non-stop action.

No comments:

Post a Comment