Friday, March 11, 2022

The Batman (Mini-Review)

The Batman is set outside of the DC Expanded Universe (DCEU) and has its own continuity. In it the Riddler terrorizes Gotham to expose corruption hidden deep within the city. Bruce Wayne, in his Batman vigilante persona, must confront his family's legacy as well as his own. The Batman was released in 2022. It was directed by Matt Reeves. It stars Robert Pattinson, Zoƫ Kravitz, Paul Dano, and Jeffrey Wright.

There's a certain point in the movie where it should have ended but doesn't. Instead it keeps going on and on to reveal new twists. If you've seen Lord of the Rings: Return of the King you'll understand what I'm talking about. Yet even while I was annoyed, there was still enough there to keep my attention. So it was a love/hate thing for me. The only real problem is that a major twist loses impact because the movie wants to wrap everything up by the end.

I never watched any of the Twilight films when I was younger. In all honestly, I was a bit of an elitist until I learned to calm down. But I did know that Robert Pattinson played Edward Cullen. And, unfairly because of that, I decided not to care about Pattinson's post-Twilight career. It wasn't until I saw him in The Lighthouse (2019) that I decided to keep up with his film career. So I guess you can credit that movie with me being excited about him being cast as Batman.

There's a point where dark and gritty can get annoying. Sometimes a film can be dark and gritty while seeming like it's taking itself way too seriously. During the opening minutes of The Batman the film seemed to toe the line in that regard. It didn't help that there was super angsty narration that would make a teenager blush. But as the movie went on it seemed like a serious film instead of a film pretending to be serious.

This movie does a good job at examining what makes Batman who he is. Bruce and the audience is forced to examine his family's past. While they aren't shown to be monsters, there is more under the surface than someone idolizing them would like. Bruce also has to confront how he's affecting the people of Gotham. In the beginning of the movie he laments that he feels he's not making an impact on the city. By the end that's shown not to be the case. Though in a way that both Bruce and the audience might not like.

Andy Serkis is an actor I respect. Since he rose to fame by playing CGI characters, I enjoy when he's able to appear on screen. But it was awkward to see him as Alfred Pennyworth. He delivers a sold performance, as always. Yet he's not someone I easily associate with Alfred.

I would recommend The Batman to fans of the character. I would also recommend The Batman to someone looking for an engaging mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment