Thursday, June 29, 2023

Breathe: Healing Conversations

Paid Promotion
Breathe takes the reader on an emotive voyage of upheaval, heartache, healing, and ultimately, personal transformation. Through heartfelt poetic narration and evocative lines, poetess Karen Achille reveals a relatable story that reminds you that you are never truly alone on this journey called life. By book’s end, each sense will be awakened, and one’s heart will be empowered. Most importantly, Breathe invites the reader to truly reside in the present, darkness and all.

Talking With Karen Achille


What was the inspiration for writing Breathe?

The inspiration for writing Breathe stemmed from a deeply personal experience and a desire to share a transformative journey. As I arrived at what I know now to be unconditional love, it truly felt like breathing and healing all at once.

What was the writing process like for Breathe?

Writing the book itself was easy. Trusting what I was writing was difficult. But this process has taught me to get out of my own way and simply let the narrative flow. The editing process can take care of the rest. So I wrote all of the poems as it came to mind. Then I went back and created a timeline with each poem so that it tells a story. Once I did that, I saw a pattern which helped me come up with the title for each section.

What music did you listen to while writing Breathe?

I listened to a lot of Jazz, R & B Instrumental, or I'd have something motivational playing in the background. This allows me to stay focused and motivated at the same time.

When I write, I create a space that aligns with my purpose. The energy in the room itself needs to be right.

What was your favorite poem in Breathe to write?

My favorite poems in Breathe are "Invested" and "Walking Blindly in Love" because they capture the transformation and the healing that this book embodies. The speaker at this point is receiving all of their gifts after weathering the storm in earlier poems in the book.

What was the hardest poem in Breathe to write?

Well the book has a few difficult poems and so I have trigger warnings at the top to warn readers. If I had to choose one it would have to be the poem entitled "Broken" which deals with sexual violation. It was just as difficult to write as it is to read, but it is a story that I have heard so many times with shame attached to it. By writing it down, it is about letting go of things that do not serve us. Hopefully, it is a release for many other readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment