Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Alone in the Light

This is a Soma fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This is a drabble. Feel free to make a request or two.

The sunlight drifted through the trees as a light breeze made the setting feel more than comfortable. That was the important thing, that the setting feel real. That myself and everyone else in the Ark feel like we were in some utopia of the real world. But nothing here was real and everything was fake. Everything was a lie.

Heck, I didn't know if I was actually Simon Jarrett after having some time to question my own existence. To question if I even existed especially in a place like this where the entire concept of reality was put into question.

I breathed in deeply as I let my bare feet feel the stream running across them. I shouldn't be feeling like this as I had made it across Hell to reach the last stronghold of humanity. If I started thinking too much then things would start falling apart for me.

If Catherine wasn't busy, I could visit her. Ever since arriving in the Ark she had been my only link to my life before. Sometimes we would spend an entire night over a glass of wine talking about our feelings. Our nights together had begun when she had fully opened up to me.

It wasn't that the other people in the Ark were mean, but I had only met them in this place. I had met Catherine before. Sometimes I found myself wishing to see Ashley just one more time. Or anyone else from when I had actually been me. But that would never happen as they were all dead.

Every one I had ever known before this place was dead.

My mind then went to a much darker place: the version of me that was still on Earth.

It sent a shiver down my spine that there was a version of me on Earth that had no one at all. That person didn't even have Catherine or another person to talk to on the entire planet. Sure when I had gotten on the Ark he had Catherine by him, but I knew him too well to have any hope.

He, like me, would have reacted in a panic and killed that version of Catherine by accident. Then he would either sit or wander for all eternity in more pain than I wanted to imagine.

A bird started to sing in the tree and I looked up, a smile actually forming on my face. I couldn't see it but knew it was there all the same. Should I really be mourning while living in paradise? Maybe one day the past would fade from my mind, but in the meantime I would need to push past the pain.

With a deep sigh I stood up and started walking back to the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment