Thursday, September 24, 2020

Rapunzel Unveiled (Mini-Review)

Rapunzel Unveiled is the second book in Erin Bedford's Curse of the Fairy Tales series. In this book Eva is plagued by who she used to be as she struggles to learn what humans do in the world she has awoken to. The mages she lives with have struggles of their own as they each are drawn to her but the society they live in forces them to stay apart from her.

This book, like the last one, is extremely gripping and really draws you in. Readers are shown more of mage society, especially how poorly humans are treated. I really grew to understand why Queen Eva (aka Eva's past self) loathed the mages. While they weren't in power during her time, they still caused...problems. This series seems to show that mages and humans were always at war.

I thought I'd grow to dislike Queen Eva the more I learned about her. But that wasn't the case. Mages aren't great people for the most part and so seeking to commit genocide on them makes sense. In this book we get much more information on why Snow and her were such bitter rivals. And I can't hate Eva for what she did to someone Snow loved because...I just have really strong opinions on the matter. The only reason I see Queen Eva as a villain is because she revels in causing pain.

I'm also beginning to think Snow had much more to her plan than locking Eva up in a tower. I also have a sneaking suspicion Rebecca has a large part to play in the second half of that plan. My theory comes from the fact villains can't have simple plans. Every good villain must make their evil plans as complicated as possible. If they don't, they fail villain school.

I didn't think I'd like Eva with Zane more than the first book. But the impossible happened. Queen Eva takes over Eva just like Zane's demon does for him. This makes the pair have something in common that is specific to the two of them. I'm a twisted individual because this book made me start shipping Queen Eva and Zane's demon.

In the final moments of the last book there was a brief moment where Gage showed how much he cared for Eva. This book has Gage being vulnerable to Eva so that she can see how much he actually does care for her. It does make sense that if he's an assassin he has to build up walls around himself.

Eva does seem to overreact when she shouldn't. Her loathing the mages for how they have made humans into basically slaves makes sense. But how she doubts the men that saved her doesn't make sense. She uses any excuse to paint them as uncaring. She knows Adam doesn't like Rebecca. She knows all of the mages have to treat her as a common human in social situations. Yet she can't think for two seconds before reacting violently to benign situations.

I would recommend Rapunzel Unveiled by Erin Bedford to those that are fans of the Curse of the Fairy Tales series. Also any readers that like their romance with a mix of science fiction and fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment