Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Hunger Games (2012)

Title: The Hunger Games

Series: The Hunger Games

Based on the Book: The Hunger Games

Book By: Suzanne Collins

Director: Gary Ross

Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2012

Personal Rating: 4.5/5

Oscars: N/A

Basic Plot: Set in a future where the Capitol selects a boy and girl from the twelve districts to fight to the death on live television, Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her younger sister's place for the latest match.

Compared to the Book
I will get this out of the way first. I might even do another post on all the differences in the movie. Katniss' relationship Rue is explored more. The same basic feelings are shown in the film but you don't feel as much in the movie. The mockingjay isn't clearly explained. You don't get the fact that it basically is the symbol of rebellion. At the end of the movie it isn't shown if Peeta was using Katniss or if he had real feelings for her. In the ending of the book it's shown that Peeta's feelings for Katniss were real.

The Deaths
One thing I was worried about in this movie is if the deaths would be able to equal up to their book counterparts. I am glad to say that the deaths were very good. Rue's death cut like a knife and Riley Dawson...I mean Glimmer (played by Leven Rambin) were my two 'favorite deaths'. Well...Glimmer's death is one of my favorite deaths just because I like the actress. I will say, though, Glimmer still glimmers even in death.

President Snow
I like that the movie shows much more of President Snow than the book. Like, more than a paragraph or two. This prepares for President Snow's increased importance in the series. And he does become VERY important to Katniss especially.

Final Thoughts
This movie was just AWESOME! They were able to pull The Hunger Games off with only a PG-13 rating. The fire scene was just awe inspiring. I felt myself dodging in my seat like I was with Katniss. And there is some good eye candy in this movie: Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss Everdeen) and Glimmer (Leven Rambin) being among them. This is a movie you NEED to see in a theater to get the full effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment