Sunday, December 22, 2019

The Rise of Skywalker (Mini-Review)

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker is the ninth film in the main series. It stars Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, and John Boyega. It was directed by J.J.Abrams and released in December 2019. The film tells the story of the final struggle between the First Order and the Resistance. It also focuses on the internal struggles of both Rey and Kylo Ren.

While this movie does have its faults, it is one of the few that had me crying and literally on the edge of my seat. The fact it was able to elicit such reactions is no small feat and means I have respect for it.

One of the things I loved in The Last Jedi was that it made Rey come from no great lineage. I adored this since it made it appear like anyone could be a Jedi and the damage done by the midichlorians was restored. The Rise of Skywalker retcons that and has her come from the lineage of a family viewers have met in the previous eight films.

The first part of the film is a little too heavy on humor and I was worried that tone would persist throughout the entire runtime. Luckily that was not the case and the tone smoothed out as the film progressed.

Many fans have been interested in the possible relationship between Rey and Kylo Ren/Ben Solo. This film does answer if they ever become a couple or not. All that I can say in this non-spoiler review is that the outcome is respectful of both characters.

The parts involving Palpatine were some of the weakest moments of The Rise of Skywalker. As always he was a threatening presence but his reason for being there was a little...well...goofy. I was hoping for something interesting with his character and just felt let down. However, Palpatine's storyline did end in spectacular fashion so I can't hate it as much as I want to.

This film does a good job at being the conclusion of a nine film series. The final scene in the film does its job at showing the series going full circle.

I would recommend The Rise of Skywalker to both Star Wars and science fiction fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment