Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Rin Duology and the Way Time Works Between Realities

The topic of this post was voted on by the members of my Facebook group HERE WE STAND. If you would like to vote on future posts, feel free to join.
 
First Person Point of View (POV) is one of the least respected points of views to write with. In fact, it seems to be the most disrespected point of view. I get that it's hard to work with and that many don't seem to know how to write in it.

It always makes me feel so happy when someone tells me they don't normally like First Person POV, but they like when I write in it. That shows people aren't introduced to people who can write First Person POV often enough.

But First Person POV also has its drawbacks. In the Rin Duology, a large Game of Thrones/Resident Evil fanfic I've been working on for over a year, the main character has no interest in exploring the concept of time between realities. Rin doesn't care what happens when she goes to different realities as she only tends to focus on the here and now. She'll think about the future but only in relation to how it'll help her current situation.

As I probably won't get to that part of the lore I've created in the fic itself, I'll talk about it here.
The Concept of Time

Time is a simple thing to most and yet others try to dig deeper. They try to find what time really is. Some think that time is merely a human construct. That it doesn't exist like we think it does.
I don't buy into the whole 'man created time' thing. Maybe it is because I don't fully understand the theories or maybe it isn't true. I think time actually exists and can be measured. Just because we measure it in minutes doesn't mean we're not measuring time correctly. So time is not complicated except when you try and manipulate it.

While the Rin Duology doesn't deal with manipulating time, it does have Rin going to multiple realities. Traveling between realities is when things start to get complicated and time starts acting in ways we're not used to.
The Rin Duology is Happening all at Once

Rin is experiencing all the realities she goes to at once. This explains why when she goes back to one reality there isn't a time jump from the point she left. The thing with traveling the multi-verse in the Rin Duology is that if your consciousnesses is on multiple planes at once, reality will do its best to make sure you don't get lost. Reality does so by making a connection that makes you experience multiple realities at once.

So why haven't I pointed this fact out in the fic?
The story is told from Rin's point of view. In her point of view when she goes from Westeros to Earth, she doesn't perceive both realities at once. What she perceives is spending time on Earth and then coming back to Westeros.
Just because Rin is experiencing both realities at once doesn't mean she doesn't age. Each reality has its own time after all. Each reality has its own unique timeline, hence scars Rin earns in one reality don't follow her to another reality.

Following this rule she is also able to get pregnant and have children.
Rin's Dragon Form

Dragons in the Game of Thrones universe are constantly growing. As long as a dragon has food and space, they can grow extremely large. This is why Drogon is larger than either Viserion or Rhaegal. Though Rin's dragon died before the fic begins, she can turn into her dragon. Rin's dragon form continues to grow.

Once the fic begins and Rin travels between realities, her dragon form grows erratically. This is because there is a strain on the dragon. Her dragon is dead but still has a form of sentience and can comprehend what's actually going on better than Rin does. So with all the confusion the dragon doesn't really know what to do and her growth suffers from that.
Okay, I admit I haven't decided on exactly why her dragon form grows the way it does. The behind the scene reason is that I'm horrible with imagining sizes and so figuring out what would be the logical size for her dragon is hard. So I go the easy route of 'well the growth is erratic'.

In this fic I sometimes wait awhile until I figure out exactly how I want an idea to come through. I always make sure it makes sense in the fic's logic so it doesn't come out as jarring and may make me seem like I know what I'm doing. An example of this is the decision of what would be Lightbringer.

So I'm going with her dragon being confused as it makes the most sense for now. But I'm not setting anything in stone for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment