Friday, July 17, 2015

Inbetween: Akin to the Platypus 5

Fic Or Original: Fic

Fandom(s): Animorphs and The Avengers

Rating: T (as according to ffnet)

Characters In Chapter: Tobias and Bruce Banner

Relationships:N/A

The thermals were good in New York today. The noon day sun providing a good amount of heat so that I barely had to flap my wings. Looking around I could almost believe that if I went to California that I would run into my friends.

That I would fly over my meadow and, shortly after, see Ax grazing. I would meet up with him and we'd call a meeting with the others. There would be laughing and just a general sense that all was right with the world.

But I knew that was only a dream.

I knew that if I went to the West Coast, Rachel and the others wouldn't be there. Looking towards the Avengers Tower I checked to see if Bruce had gone up to the balcony yet. He hadn't. I was growing impatient and tried to calm myself by flying around.

Riding the thermals was nice, but now I was growing tired. Red-tailed hawks couldn't ride the thermals like a vulture could. We needed to flap our wings too much. Before, thinking of myself as a hawk would've disturbed me, but now it didn't.

Now I had accepted I was a hawk and was moving on.

I flew over the Avengers Tower and still didn't see Bruce on the balcony. I was flying more out of boredom than anything else and knew that if I landed I would get antsy. I would grow bored even quicker. Hey, I was a teenager.

Deciding that I would grow too tired if I flew any longer, I landed on the balcony. I grasped part of the railing and my hawk mind did what it had to do so that I wouldn't fall off. The animal minds in a morph could be highly useful in controlling the body.

Of course, in my case, practice had made me even better at being a bird than my friends.

After a few minutes I turned my head as I heard someone approaching me. It was Bruce. Why did seeing the man make me so happy? Maybe finding someone who knew what you were dealing with, and an adult at that, did help.

"Tobias," Bruce said nervously. "I don't like this idea."

Bruce was usually nervous and I didn't blame him. He was a pacifist at heart and having a rage monster inside you was hard. Especially if you kept fighting it.

I'll be safe, I trust you. I told him, more to calm him than anything else. Besides, I can always demorph and fly away if need be. You Hulking out won't be the worst problem I've faced.

That was very true. If I died by getting killed by the Hulk it would be much better than watching my friends risk their lives while I was safe. I didn't know anything worse than that. That was a huge reason why I liked having my morphing powers back, so I wouldn't be safer than my friends were.

Bruce smiled weakly.

He looked away from me for a moment and I worried that he would walk away. That he wouldn't allow me to go.

"It's just testing something out, you don't need to be there." He finally replied. "You'll be risking your life for nothing."

Bruce was right and I wondered why I really wanted to go. Was it because I was interested in seeing how I would be taken back home or was it to spend more time with him?

Tony will be there for back up. I tried to reason with Bruce.

"Him?" Bruce laughed. "You trust him to stop the Other Guy? You expect him to rescue you from him?"

I wanted to rub my head against Bruce to comfort him, but that would be awkward right now. No matter what we had in common, I didn't think touching him as a hawk would help. I wanted it to. I wanted to perch on his shoulder and rub his face with my head to make him feel better.

But that wouldn't work. Not now.

I expect him to give me enough of an opening to escape. I reassured Bruce. I can save myself just fine.

"You fought in a war." Bruce said softly. "You didn't have a childhood."

I didn't have much of a life before the war to be honest. I had no mother or father. Hell, my aunt and uncle haven't even noticed I'm gone. They were my family and they didn't care.

Bruce nodded and I felt that my comments weren't doing anything to calm him down.

If you're worried about controlling the Other Guy, I know what it's like to have another personality inside you. I said, changing the topic of conversation slightly. I deal with it everyday. I can control it.

"You're different," Bruce said and seemed embarrassed. "You're...not a monster. Your other guy is a hawk. At least it's something normal. Not like me. When I go...no one can stop me. Friends can die when I lost control."

I lost control for a few days. I decided to let my other guy take over. I told him, wanting to show him how alike we were. If I had never taken control back my friends could've died. When I couldn't morph I thought I was useless, but I still had a purpose. Even if it was watching my friends morph outside of missions.

I shook my head as I remembered when I had watched Marco and Ax morph mice to sneak into a pool party. Marco had blackmailed the Andalite with flea powder. It would've been a clever trick if it hadn't been so stupid.

Marco didn't know that being a mouse meant getting a lot of predators that you didn't want as enemies.

"So you kids broke your own rules." Bruce said and I couldn't tell if he was mad or impressed.

We're teenagers fighting a war, of course we're going to goof off. I said.

"Fine," Bruce said with a sigh. "I can't get rid of you. You're like Tony."

I didn't know whether I should take that as a compliment or not.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment