Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Part of a Whole

One thing I've noticed that seems to confuse a lot of people is when I decide to talk about part of something (be it a movie, book, or tv show) and then they think that's my opinion on the thing as a whole. Hell, recently one of my YouTube vlogs is getting a lot of flack because they're mistaking what I consider to be good cinema is my view on important issues.

Am I really the only one that can firmly put things in little boxes and talk about them without needing to talk about the subject as a whole? Or is everyone just waiting to jump and attack someone over any little thing?

I made a tumblr post a few years back looking at a character in Wreck-It Ralph using stereotypes. This lead a whole lot of people to believe I thought gay stereotypes were real. Because if I'm doing an analysis of something a certain way I must believe the whole world works that way. And how dare I not know that the whole cast and crew are angels who would never offend anyone.

Recently I made a vlog about two parts of Lone Survivor. This has lead a bunch of people to believe I don't respect the military and that I don't respect the real people mentioned in the film. It can't be because I have a problem with the editing. Nope, it must be that I loathe our veterans. It can't be that I didn't need it to be hammered in as much as they did to understand that the people mentioned in the film were people with real lives. With families.

Sometimes the stupidity of some people just amazes me. I shouldn't have to clarify my whole opinion of something if I clearly state that I'm only analyzing a certain bit of something and that I'm looking at it through certain lenses.

People really need to calm the fuck down and look at what I'm saying instead of assuming stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment