Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Eternal Heart: False Hero

Note: This is a Terminator fanfic that combines a bunch of different timelines, twists them around, and so can't be said to follow any one certain timeline.
--------------------

I opened my eyes as I heard the sounds. The sounds were loud and threatining. Who was I? Where was I? When was it? As a machine attacked me I realized those were questions that could be answered later. Trying to get away from the attacking machine I realized there was a gun in my hand. I didn't know why I didn't notice it before. But, again, that didn't matter. What mattered was that I had a gun.

I aimed it as though I had used guns before. When I shot the machine I realized I must've previously attacked the same kind of machine that was after me. A Terminator. Yes, that was the name. It seemed familiar to me.

As a bullet went over my head I realized I would have to think about that later. I scored a solid hit on the Terminator and fluid burst out. I would've sworn it was red but the fluid changed colors. By the time it fell to the ground I couldn't remember what color it originally was.

As more Terminators attacked my memory came back. The fact that the blood was pumping quickly through my veins must've helped me to remember. My name was Jash and I was a Resistance Fighter.

As my memory came back I was able to kill the metal, a nickname for the Terminators, easier. When I killed them I heard them scream and curse me. Why would metal do those things? Besides, they were the invaders. They were the foot soldiers of Skynet and wouldn't think twice about killing me or any human.

The sounds of battle finally drew to a close. When they were fully gone, it felt eerie. I walked over to one of the Terminators and recalled that his name was Martin Bedell. How did I know that? I nearly laughed when I realized that the Terminator was wearing a nametag with its name on it.

"Just because you have a name doesn't mean I give a shit about you." I said and spit on it. "I am Jash of the Resistance Against Skynet. And I will never surrender my humanity to you."

* * *

"Chug! Chug! Chug!" My comrades said. It didn't matter which one. All of us were pretty drunk now and probably wouldn't remember tonight in the morning. Doing what they wanted me to, I chugged down another mug of beer. They cheered louder and the drinking continuned.

Was the battle I was just in really that big? I didn't think so. It seemed more like a test than a battle. And definitely not something that a leader would allow soldiers should to get drunk for. Being in the state I was in now would make me less able to fight the metal. Turning to look at two of my female comrades, I saw them in a deep passionate kiss. Nothing stirred in me, but the men were starring.

This was odd. These were soldiers. Two women turning lesbian because of alcohol wasn't anything to worry about. But trained soldiers acting like schoolboys wasn't normal. Or was it? Couldn't I allow the soldiers, that were risking their lives, a little slack? No. No I couldn't.

As I started to walk over to them I stumbled and fell. The room erupted in laughter. "Fuck." I cursed under my breath. After a few minutes I was able to get myself back up. It seemed the party had died down quickly.

I felt a little strange and started going towards the sick bay. Probably just drunk, but I had to make sure.

After I stumbled into the sick bay, a doctor helped me to a table. This particular base didn't have a real sick bay.

"Seems like you got banged up bad." The doctor said in a comforting voice. But while his voice was kind, his face gave off no emotion. As he started to inspect me I saw him get some disinfectent. Probably homemade since it was better to do that. That was because if there was ever a shortage, you'd better save the best for the worst incidents. "So you just came back from that battle?"

"No." I said. What was up with this guy? "I got a little too drunk at the party tonight. I think it was to celebrate the battle."

"The party?" The doctor asked. "Oh, yeah, that. Yes, that's what the wounds are from. Forgot what can happen in parties."

"Don't you go to any?" I asked.

"Not often." He said, but I could tell he was lying. He didn't go to any. While that was, in itself, not suspicious. It seemed to mean something that he didn't know about the party.

0000

I saw a field of nothing but sheep. Everywhere I looked there were sheep. One of the sheep closet to me had no wool on one side. Instead it was pure coltan like a Terminator. It noticed the attetion I was giving it and it just looked at me. Then it ran at me and I woke up suddenly.

I saw I was still in my room and that there were no man killing Terminator sheep. Nope. Just regualr killer robots. A second after waking up, I heard a knock on my door. I sighed and opened the door. One of my comrades was outside.

"What is it? I'm still waiting for my hangover to go away." I said angrily. Though I didn't know if it was a hangover. But those thoughts could wait.

"I can't tell you." He replied. "Only once the special group is gathered can I tell you. There can be no chance that someone outside of the special group will hear it."

* * *

The debriefing had been earlier and now things were actually going to happen. I was a little nervous as I hadn't gone into battle before. No, that couldn't be true. Must be because going into battle was so scary to me that my memory erased those moments.

"You feeling alright, Jash?" One of my comrades asked me. I couldn't remember his rank and he wasn't wearing any identification. And why should he? This mission was one of infiltration. We were going to pretend to be Greys, traitors to humanity, and destroy one of Skynet's bases.

"Yeah," I replied. "Just don't like the waiting."

"That's the majority of war." The words made him sound like he was making a joke, but there was no inflection to his voice.

Finally the boarding was happening. There were four trucks and I went to drive one. Me being a driver must mean that they trusted me not to panic. Especially in the situation we'd be getting ourselves into.

The comrade that was sitting beside me wasn't familiar but that didn't matter. We were all fighting the same enemy. Betrayals wouldn't happen until after the war, most likely.

After a few minutes I drove behind the third truck and the mission truly started.

As I drove I was still able to think about things other than my surroundings. This was because I had others in the truck with me and was aware enough to notice anything attacking the convoy.

What I decided to think about was a strange choice. It was something I was told during the debriefing. That I was to show no mercy to the Terminators. Also, that they could make themselves appear human. Though they were only in the beginning stages of the Infiltration Series.

Of course I wouldn't show any mercy to a Terminator! Even if it had human skin. The thought of a Terminator, a large chunk of lifeless metal, pretending to be human made me clutch the stearing wheel tightly. The comrade sitting beside me looked at me so I lessened my grip on the steering wheel.

"Just preparing myself." I told her and she went back to making sure nothing was about to attack us.

What if she was a Terminator? No, couldn't be. Her skin was too human to be a Terminator. Her expression had been odd but that didn't mean anything. We were going into battle and so acting weird wasn't a warning. At least not to me.

We finally got to the base where a Grey was waiting to greet us. Well, that's how the plan was supposed to go. Since I was the last truck in the convoy, I watched the Resistance Fighters in the first truck deal with the guard.

But the guard didn't let us in. Instead he tried to shout before being shot. Then all of us headed quickly into the base. We had a mission to do.

Even in the first few minutes of this mission there was enough bloodshed of Greys and Terminators to fill me for a lifetime. Half-way through the massacre, that's what I considered it, I forgot what the mission had originally been. Hell, I didn't know what it was now. The only thought going through my mind was to kill.

* * *

I shouldn't be blamed for what I was doing now. No one would blame me, but I blamed myself now. Running away from battle felt terrible. My right arm was injured and wouldn't allow me to shoot with any aim. I had shot some of my own men when I had tried.

Why was I running? There weren't any vehicles to get. It would take too much time to get one running. The terrain was good for hiding, as fate would have it. Not too good, Judgment Day had taken a number on Earth. I hid behind a boulder and killed the two that were pursuing me.

Well, that's what I would tell my superiors. Instead, I shot their kneecaps and continued to run. It would be a few miles before I could slow down. But I would reach base. I would make sure of it.

* * *

I had gotten back to my current base hours ago. The doctor had looked over me and I had rested. I didn't have any duties to perform so I started to explore. There were parts of the base that were off limits for some reason. A more obedient soldier than I would've left those areas alone. But I was curious.

Finding a lock door I picked it. It was surprisingly difficult. It lead to a 'hidden' area but the lock seemed odd. No matter, I got it unlocked and then opened it. Walking a few feet I saw a symbol on the walls.

On the left side it was easier to make out than the same one on the right side. The symbol was of a triangle. Two triangles and one diamond that made one big triangle. The symbol for Cyberdyne which was the company that had made Skynet.

They just had to be random sketchings on the wall. Just had to be. Even if they weren't, the Resistance was hiding out in a former Skynet base. No problem there. Right? As I reached the end of the hallway I entered a room that destroyed all doubts.

I leaned against a wall in shock at what I was seeing. I now knew that I had been fighting on the wrong side all along.

The room I was in was a factory. But not of anything useful to the Resistance. Right in front of my eyes Terminators were being made.

But how was it possible that I had been fighting for Skynet and not have known what I was doing? Could brainwashing really be that good of a tool?

Before I could think of anything more, something hit the back of my head and all was black.

"Jash!" A loud and angry voice shouted in my ear. I opened my eyes and saw a commander looking me dead in the eyes. His look was something that I shouldn't have seen, especially after first waking up. I quickly stood up.

"What is it?" I asked. I would've been more polite had I not remembered what I had seen last night. But what had I seen? "Terminator Factory."

"Your one of those nuts?" The Commander asked. I hadn't meant to say 'Terminator Factory' out loud but I had. And now the enemy would know. "Somehow all the people who just get assigned to Base 42 think Terminators are still made here. It's been years since the factory has been working."

"Then why is it off limits?"

"Because a Grey could build a Terminator and then we'd all be dead here." He explained. "And if it is running, which it couldn't possibly be, then it would be because of a Grey. Not because of any of us in command."

"I have proof." I said, turned around, and lifted up my hair. "Someone, or something, knocked me out by hitting the back of my head."

The Commander looked for a few minutes and then replied, "There's no mark on the back of your head. You must have fallen asleep while on patrol."

"I didn't have patrol last night." I said.

The Commander shook his head. "You did. That's why I was looking for you."

"What do you want me to do, Sir?" I asked. I was afraid of a possible punishment.

"Since you're well rested now, go get something to eat and go out on patrol." He commanded. "Go five miles out and circle the base a few times. Those who actually took their patrolling duties seriously thinks there might be intruders coming."

I wanted to ask why me but figured it wouldn't be a good idea. I had a bad dream and annoyed a commander. I looked around and saw that I had been sleeping on the roof of Base 42.

As I went to the mess hall I thought that it was highly likely that what I had seen was a dream. When I sat down and started to eat my food I remembered some of my comrades telling me about this being an old Cyberdyne Building. Though, somehow, that memory seemed to be new. It did occur a few weeks back, but it seemed as though it was from a few hours ago.

So had I just dreamt it all? I guess the answer would be yes. How hard the Terminator, or Grey, had hurt me would leave a mark. I rubbed the back of my head and felt nothing. But the dream had felt so real.

After I finished eating I headed out to patrol duty. It was boring for the first hour or so. Finally there was some action. As the two people came closer I tried to identify them.

One had long dark hair and large lips. It looked like a million bees had stung them. However, I could see a beauty and strength in her movements. The other person had blond hair, normal sized lips, and a good pair of titties. Those things weren't huge, but still bigger than normal.

When they got close they pointed their guns at me and I put my finger on the trigger to my own.

"Who are you?" I asked them.

The one with the large lips replied, "Commander Jesse Flores and," Jesse pointed to the other one with her eyes. "Riley Dawson."

I thought about those names. I suddenly remembered them as Greys. I aimed at Jesse but Riley stepped in the way. While Jesse seemed to be a sinner, Riley appeared innocent. She must have fought and killed, but there was still innocence in her.

"Put the gun down, metal." Jesse said and Riley stayed where she was. I put my gun down slowly and stood back up.

Looking at Riley I noticed that she was wearing a type of armor underneath her clothing. There was a slight bulge that I hadn't noticed before. It had been a trap.
-----------
The Eternal Heart Blog aka The Wars Against Skynet

No comments:

Post a Comment