Monday, January 26, 2015

Don't Talk to Me: Allosexual

I would like to welcome you to a brand new series where I can let my nitpicky English Major nerd side out. I can actually be very picky on word choices without really meaning to. Which is great for when I write but it can be a problem in real life as then I misinterpret what someone says because they did or didn't say a word. Meaning I think they are saying something completely different.

In this new series I will be taking a look at words and phrases that I just can't stand. I will explain my problem, or problems, with them and then suggest a better alternative.

We'll start off with allosexual.

What does it mean?

The term is used to mean anyone who experiences sexual desire.

Why do I hate it?

I hate this word because there's already a word for it so it makes this word do nothing but look trendy. I'm not saying that we already have all the words to describe the sexual and romantic and gender spectrum, that is beyond vast and complicated, and so I have nothing against a word like cisgender (or cis for short). The meaning of that word being that your sex and gender match up.

But allosexual? It's like there was a group of people that wanted to feel special and different. So instead of expanding the vocabulary for the sexual and gender and romantic spectrum, they just replaced a word.

What I Would Replace it With: Sexual

Why is that better?

This is the word that I have been referring to. Allosexual is supposed to be the opposite of asexual. However, the A in Asexual is a prefix that means not (like the A in Atheist). So asexual means not sexual. So if you want to refer to anyone that feels sexual urges, just call them sexual. This means you'll have to do a slight change of what the word means, but you won't need to create a new word.

What's up Next?

That's for me to know and for you to find out later. But please feel free to comment with what words and phrases you want me to tackle in the future. If I end up refusing one of your suggestions that merely means I find no problem with the word or phrase.
-----------------------------------------------
All of Don't Talk to Me

No comments:

Post a Comment