Monday, May 26, 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)



Title: Days of Future Past

Series: X-Men

Director: Bryan Singer

Starring: Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, and Hugh Jackman

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2014

Personal Rating: 5/6

Oscars: N/A

Plot: The X-Men send Wolverine to the past in a desperate effort to change history and prevent an event that results in doom for both humans and mutants.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quicksilver
Now Quicksilver is an Avenger and Magneto's son in the comics. However, because of legal issues that make using the character extremely complicated in the movies, in this movie and any sequels him being an Avenger can never be mentioned. When I was reading the imdb trivia page for this movie the whole legal issue was overwhelmingly stupid.That being said: Quicksilver, played by Evan Peters, was a very enjoyable part of this film.

Charles Xavier's Story
I consider Charles the main character of this movie. Everything revolves around him. He was going to be the one to go back in time but he couldn't handle the journey so Wolverine was sent instead. The only reason Magneto got involved was because Charles knew he couldn't convince Mystique to stop without him. Plus Charles went through the biggest character change in the movie while the others just wobbled and basically ended where they began.

Deleting X3
The events of this movie eventually erase X-Men: The Last Stand which will probably cause the majority of you to cheer in jubilation and become happier than you have been in years. Even though I liked X3, I don't mind since the movie explains it logically (at least as logically as a story with time travel can be) and it means certain dead characters can come back to the franchise.

Final Thoughts
This was a fun ride. It's actually one of the few times I was out and about on my own so it makes seeing it extra special (yeah, I'm one of those people that don't care if I see a movie alone). The story line was good and I thought that the time travel aspect held up. It was heart-breaking to see Young Charles early in the film as how pained he was made him do something awful. If you liked X-Men First Class, this is a good follow up to it. The post credits scene seems to be setting up for the sequel that involves Apocalypse. If you're wondering: Yes, I had to look that up as when I watched it I had no idea what I was looking at.

No comments:

Post a Comment