Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Eternal Heart: Fragile Package 3


The burning smell was about as bad as seeing the metal parts of me. I knew I was metal and that my humanity had been tainted, but seeing proof of that was a thing unto itself. Because when I had proof like this that I wasn’t human, but a hybrid, then I wondered who I had been before. Was I someone that had sided with Skynet or had I been against it?

I put thoughts of the metal showing underneath my burnt skin to the back of my mind. Right now I had to look at the burning chopper wreckage to see if Star and Barnes were there.

“Star! Barnes!” I shouted and looked for any movements or the slightest sounds of a cry for help.

But I heard and saw nothing.

“John...” Katherine said and I quickly turned to her.

She wasn’t in good shape and didn’t have the benefit of being a hybrid to help her. I knelt by her and felt her stomach. If she survived but her twins died, then John would be distracted from the war. He wouldn’t be in good shape if just Katherine died so I didn’t want to imagine his reaction to his unborn children dying.

“Katherine?” I asked and tried to lift her up.

I stopped after she groaned. Shit. How was I supposed to get her somewhere safe? Skynet would probably be coming by soon. Maybe I was trying to carry her the wrong way.

“You need to walk. Can you do that?” I asked.

“John?” Katherine asked and looked at me. “I feel like I fell or-“

“You crashed, Katherine.” I told her. “Skynet will be coming soon and I need to get you to safety.”

“Weren’t there others?”

“Barnes and Star scouted an area ahead and found somewhere safe. They  are waiting for us there.” I lied and figured the truth could come later. Right now I needed her to move as quickly as she could.

As I managed to slowly help her up she said, “John, if I die-“

“You aren’t goin-“ I started to say.

“You never wanted to accept that I could die. I think that’s why you didn’t want to send me on missions. But if I do die I just want you to stay away from Jash. You’re a human, John, and you deserve the love only a human can bring. Promise me.”

“I promise.” I replied since there was no other option. If Katherine was going to confuse me for John, I didn’t have the time to correct her.

“And if you’re going to die, want to do it at another location?” I asked after she didn’t move for a minute.

Katherine’s reply was to smile weakly and I helped her walk. I didn’t know where to go since I hadn’t gotten a good layout of the land while I was crashing. I didn’t know if I was even going in the right direction, but I had no choice. I had to continue going forward.

It was hard work getting anywhere with Katherine in her current condition. Besides it being a pain in the ass to move her, she kept confusing me for John. While I didn’t mind the tidbits of gossip I was able to get from her, some of what she said was a little more personal. Sexual stuff was included in what she was saying. Sometimes she thought that they were just starting their relationship and so didn’t know John’s turn-ons and turn-offs.

While this could’ve been amusing, the fact was that for three hours I had to go with imagining John and Katherine together in detail.

As the fourth hour approached, I saw a broken down building. It seemed to be crumbling but was otherwise stable. Maybe other people had been here recently and so there would be supplies. Water and food to last us a few days was all that we needed. I could always give Katherine my clothes if need be.

“Katherine, we don’t have to go much further.” I told her and her only response was to nod.

I felt her stepping a little more quickly as she realized the walking would end shortly.

As we entered the building, I looked around to make sure that there weren’t any surprises waiting for us. Of course if there was a Terminator my small handgun wouldn’t do much to it. I would have to battle the metal hand to hand and hope that hybrids were well built to fight against other Terminators.

After two minutes nothing came out to get us so I set Katherine by some stairs. I let her down slowly and allowed her to choose how fast we went. After she was sitting relatively comfortably by the stairs, I started looking around in detail.

There was some food and water that would hold us over for the next few days. I then looked for things I could use to make a makeshift bed for Katherine, as this building hadn’t been one for sleeping in before Judgment Day.

As I made Katherine comfortable on the makeshift bed, I started to fully realize a problem. I had known about the problem before, but now things were calm and I could reflect on it.

I couldn’t tell if Katherine’s twins were now dead or if they were going to be born like they should. I stayed up all night with those thoughts going through my head.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment