Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Gravity (2013)



Title: Gravity

Director: Alfonso Cuarón

Starring: Sandra Bullock, George Clooney, and Ed Harris

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2013

Personal Rating: 6/6

Oscars: N/A

Plot:  A medical engineer and an astronaut work together to survive after an accident leaves them adrift in space.
-------------------------------------------------------

The Ride
Normally I am one to say that a movie has to be looked at differently than a ride. But this movie is different. The feeling of being the main character puts you in the movie. You, considering you are an average person, have never been in space and the likelihood is so little as not to be talked about. So Ryan Stone is the perfect character to get into the mind of as she isn't comfortable about being in space and so when the shit hits the fan (in this case debris hit the space shuttle) she gets scared as a normal person would in that situation. Stone's viewpoint makes for a very thrilling and tense ride.

3D is a Must
I normally don't like 3D. Or, if I do, I think there's not much lost if you view the movie in 2D. However, this movie is different. The 3D did make me feel like a part of the movie. I love when things fly at me from the screen and this movie does this too. It does it without being cheesy also! A scene in which space debris is flying at the screen had me pushing into the back of my seat even though I knew it couldn't harm me. Even though I knew there was nothing actually coming at me. I'd sit up in my seat saying I wouldn't flinch and then a second later I'd be pressed against the seat again.

Reality Hits Home
I have always found myself attracted to things involving the supernatural or aliens. However, it's always the horror stories that are supposed to take place in the real world that creep me out the most. I am not phased by Alien, but Psycho creeps me the fuck out. In this movie it takes place in the real world (technically slightly above it) and maybe this is why it really affected me. I have always been attracted to space and my Dad used to work at NASA. So seeing the visuals alone in this movie made me all happy inside, especially the slow first shot of Earth. I know there are things factually wrong in this movie (such as Stone's character being up there in the first place), but I found it easy enough to put things aside and be drawn into the movie. I think this affects me more than a movie such as Alien because it is supposed to be real.

Final Thoughts
This is a very moving movie. It is one where there was never a dull moment. While the movie was the right amount of time, it was so good it feels like I could accept the movie being even longer. Yes there are factual inaccuracies that may bug some of my readers, but the movie is worth putting those aside. In other words suspending your disbelief is easy enough. It's been a long time since a movie has moved me like Gravity has.



No comments:

Post a Comment