Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Dead Space: Martyr (B.K. Evenson)

Title: Martyr

Series: Dead Space

Author: B.K. Evenson

Released: 2010

Rating: 4.5/5

Basic Plot: This novel focuses on Michael Altman and the founding of the Church of Unitology.


As An Adaptation
This isn't a novelization of any of the games, per se, but an expansion of the Dead Space Universe. This novel stays true to the feel of the Dead Space games. Like the games, the universe is complicated and it gets extremely creepy at points. While the beginning of the novel is slow, there are gory scenes spread out throughout the novel.


Same Last Names
One slight problem with the novel is the callbacks to the rest of the series. I am talking about some characters having the same surnames as characters in the first two games. I consider this a slight problem because any of the characters (the ones with the same surnames) being related to other characters is a stretch. This is mainly due to the problem of characters in the games being direct descendents of them.


Michael Altman
Throughout the games I had come to think of Altman as sort of a jerk. This is because of him being the founder of Scientology in the Dead Space Universe. This book has totally changed my views of him. Through the course of the book I came to admire him and was sad at what happens to him at the end.


Final Thoughts
I had been meaning to read this book for a little bit. I haven't played any of the games (the first two games because I don't have good enough hand controls and Extraction because I haven't gotten to it yet) but have watched Let's Plays of all the games. So when I saw a prequel novel about Michael Altman I had to get it. I am glad to say it didn't disappoint and I hope the third game in the series brings me as much joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment