Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Eternal Heart: Eyes Opened 5

Skynet had good meals. The shack that Jesse Flores, Riley Dawson, and I had stayed in was adequate. Now 'Ol Jack Camp had the worst food I had ever had. Being named after its location (Jackson, Wyoming), it didn't get very creative. I managed to swallow the last of my four protein bars.

As I wasn't officially a member of the Resistance, I didn't get as much as the officers. Riley, kind hearted soul she was, had given me half a loaf of her bread. Jesse hadn't given me jackshit, but that was who she was. If she had given me anything I'd be scared.

After breakfast, we had gone separate ways. Jesse and Riley had some business to do. Which, I assumed, meant finding a secret place in 'Ol Jack. That meant I got to walk around. After an hour of walking around the camp, I grew very bored.

Finally I saw a man sitting on a block that used to be part of a building. In fact, part of the building it was now next to. I waved to him and he waved back. He didn't have any defining characteristics besides being tall and skinny. Though I couldn't miss his battle worn face that contrasted with his innocent eyes.

"I haven't seen you around here before." He said. "My name is Kyle Reese."

"Jash." I replied and sat down by him. After a few minutes of silence, I decided to try for a joke. "So you taken?"

Kyle smiled. "Yeah."

"Who's the lucky girl?"

"Star." He said and his smile increased. "She is my reason for fighting. We met when we were kids and no one could separate us for very long."

"Damn. So do you have a brother that's single?"

Kyle's features took a downward turn. Any happiness that Star had evoked was taken away with the mention of his brother.

"I'm sorry," I replied. "How did he die?"

"He died on Judgment Day." Kyle said. "I don't know exactly what happened. All I know is that after the bombs dropped, his body was unrecognizable. Another survivor and I were able to identify him after hours of looking. You lose anyone on Judgment Day?"

"I don't remember." I said and realized my slip. "It was too horrible."

"So your mind has blocked it?" He asked. "Nothing to be ashamed of. A bunch of soldiers here end up doing that."

"Yeah. My mind has blocked it." I agreed.

Kyle picked up on my nervousness and took out a picture. "Maybe this will cheer you up. Lord knows it hasn't done anything for me."

I took the picture and looked at it. There was a woman and a dog in a Jeep. The woman was wearing sunglasses and had lovely brown hair. The woman seemed familiar to me, but I couldn't tell where I had seen her before.

"Who is she?" I asked.

"Sarah Connor. John Connor's mother." Kyle said as I handed the picture back to him. "He keeps on talking about her to me, but I don't get anything out of it. Why should I long for a dead woman? I have Star."

Kyle's radio made noise and he picked it up. After a brief conversation, he turned to me. "Sorry, have to go now." He said and pushed himself off the block. "Good luck with your memories, Jash."

I nodded and watched him leave. Once he got out of sight, I screamed as a massive headache hit me. It was worse than any migraine I had had before. Opening my eyes slightly, my vision blurred. For a few precious moments nothing made sense.

I fell off the block and spasmed in pain. Finally my vision returned to normal. Suddenly a realization came to me. There were Terminators in 'Ol Jack Camp. Taking out my gun I started to search for them.

I wouldn't allow Jesse, Riley, or Kyle to get hurt by them. That was my one and only mission at the moment.
-------------------------
The Eternal Heart Blog aka The Wars Against Skynet

No comments:

Post a Comment