Monday, August 26, 2024

When Darkness Comes Chapter 8: Talk of Death

This is a Skyrim/Alan Wake 2 fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.


"Be safe on your journey, Harbinger." Aela said as Alex went into the carriage.

Ever since last night he was looking at me strange. It made me both uncomfortable and worried about our future. What if I had made a mistake last night? What if I had mistaken how strong our foundation was? What if he had seen me ******* Aela and Eola as confirmation I didn't want our friendship to become anything more?

"Are you sure there are enough staffs at Lakeview Manor?" Gregor asked as Bran ran around barking like a soul gone mad.

"There will be enough for myself, Alex, and Eola." I said as I watched Eola sit next to Alex. "Plus enough to make sure the enchantments are both strong and stable enough to face the darkness."

"I'll be waiting for your safe return." Gregor said and I smiled while going into the carriage so that I faced my companions.

"Where to?" The carriage driver asked.

"Falkreath." I replied and the carriage started off on it journey.

For a large portion of the journey, there was silence. It wasn't pleasant since there was tension you could cut with a dagger. To placate myself, to not think about what Alex thought of me, I turned my mind to thoughts of the staffs.

Eola could use magic but she tended towards necromancy, which wouldn't be useful. Alex hadn't yet been tested with magic but, from the world he came from, I doubted he had ever seriously attempted the most basic of spells. The Light Bound Bow spell wasn't for those beginning to dabble in magic and required goodness in your soul.

A staff would make it so anyone, no matter how dark their soul, could use the spell with ease. At least that was the theory. The spell would have to be modified to only shoot arrows so the staff could handle the enchantment. I was the Arch-Mage and had a better magical grasp on enchantments than most. Though, I'm sure, J'Zargo would roll his eyes at my arrogance if he was here now.

"Is it always going to be that?" Alex scoffed and I couldn't bear the angry look he gave me.

The look full of hate, wrath, and betrayal was aimed directly at me. He was blaming me for how his heart was being torn in two. I wished I could deflect such emotions...but I couldn't.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, hoping that denial would make me feel better.

It didn't.

"You ****** Aela and Eola." Alex continued, his anger growing with each word. "You left me all alone for the night while I had to contend with your..."

"You gave me your blessing, Alex. You could've said no but you didn't."

"You knew what I wanted. You knew that I didn't want you to...to **** those-"

"Then you should have chosen your words more wisely." Eola said.

Alex glared at my companion and I was glad such an expression wasn't aimed at me this time. Eola didn't even flinch as rain started to pour down lightly on us. None of us acted like we felt anything and the carriage driver, to his credit, made as little noise as possible.

"Why the **** do you care?" I hissed and Alex turned to look at me. "You're going to be leaving soon. The whole purpose of this journey is to get you back home. The whole purpose of this venture is for you to leave me. For me to stay behind and never see you again. What sense does it make for us to start anything? My heart has already been shattered into pieces. What? Do you want to shatter those pieces even more so that there is nothing left? Not even dust!"

"You're not the only one whose heart has been broken!" Alex screamed.

"So the Dark Presence possessed your family? You had to decide between death and killing those you loved above all others? The memories of your children and husband's dying faces are etched forever in your mind? Do you think, every moment of every minute, that you made the wrong choice?"

Alex's face had turned pale in horror and I liked that. I liked seeing my pain reflected on the dryskin. The pleasure made me show my deadly teeth. From the way his chest moved I could tell he was afraid. Or was that sorrow in his sweat?

My pleasure turned to anguish and I was glad it was raining. At least I could deny the tears running down my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment