Monday, July 15, 2024

Longlegs (Mini-Review)

Longlegs is a horror movie set near the end of the Satanic Panic. FBI Agent Lee Harker shows signs of being clairvoyant and so is assigned to figuring out who the infamous Longlegs is. Through a devastating series of events, Lee finds out that she is much more connected to the Satanist than she thought. Longlegs was released in 2024. It was directed by Osgood Perkins. It stars Maika Monroe, Nicolas Cage, and Blair Underwood.

There are no mid or post credits scenes.

Before seeing this movie I decided to stay away from any information about it. Well...except for Nicolas Cage's name being attached. For some reason that's what my mind decided even though the marketing is one of the big talking points. The marketing and word of mouth are the reasons everyone is talking about this masterpiece. If I had looked up even a little about this movie I would have become excited. This due to the fact Osgood Perkins is the director. If you haven't seen his movie The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015), you really need to. Especially if you loved this movie. Basically it's a unique take on possession films.

When I see movies the theaters don't tend to be crowded. I like to go all the way in the back so no one is usually beside me. I'm glad the theater was more crowded this time. Especially as this movie wasn't part of a franchise and, instead, something fresh. Sting (2024) was also a great movie but it was only me and one other guy in the theater.

The opening of the movie helps build up a creepy atmosphere. It made me feel like I wanted more information about Longlegs while dreading the answers. What I personally enjoyed about the opening was the transition from the past to the 'present'. The aspect ratio and film quality change to show the passage of time. I do love me a good transition. While a transition like that doesn't happen else where in the film, the aspect ration is there to help you know when an event is taking place.

I would highly recommend Longlegs to horror fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment