Saturday, October 3, 2015

The Lover in Me 1

The weather had been getting chilly as of late and I was very glad that my cape was here to protect me from the cold. I turned to look at Metis who was growing her winter coat. Right now she seemed to be a black cloud and I knew that it was only a matter of time before her shape would seem to disappear amongst her fur.

"Who are the next three breeding pairs?" Metis asked, turning to look at me.

"Jash and MartinBedell seem to have a good gene combination." I replied, pulling my cape closer to me.

"Jash is the Head of the Assassins Department and MartinBedell is a warrior. An interesting choice."

"Salusa is also ready to be bred. I think PaulMuadDib would be a good fit."

I didn't mention it, but Metis looked at me sadly when I mentioned Salusa. I had only recently begun to admit to myself that I had feelings of paternal love. The fact that I felt them was so illogical that it kept me up some night. I was a logical creature and yet, I guess, not as logical as I had first thought.

"PaulMuadDib is a diplomat, I am sure he will treat Salusa gently." Metis finally replied and I preened myself to have a few more minutes of silence before replying.

"I am not worried that any of my clanmates would harm her." I finally replied.

"What about Elfangor? He hasn't been bred yet and you seem to be stopping him from breeding with anyone. He is Head of the Warrior Department and has good qualities to give to future hatchlings."

Elfangor...I had always felt some connection to the Mirror. Even when he had first come to the clan as a hatchling I knew there had been potential. Something with every slight movement of his body had called out to me, telling me that this dragon could be trusted with my darkest secrets.

Secrets that I couldn't tell anyone else.

Even when he had run away I knew he would return. I knew that I didn't have to cry out in the middle of the night, crying to the Shadowbinder, for him to return. And when he did I was not surprised. Happy, overjoyed but not surprised.

When he became an adult, feelings of wanting to wrap my body around his for more than coitus for breeding came over me. That was one secret that I knew I could trust him with: that for all my logic, I was still a creature of flesh and blood.

"There are more important dragons to breed. More important genes." I replied calmly, not letting my inner turmoil get out. "Elfangor does have impressive genetics, but so do Miasma and Glau."

Metis looked at me and it seemed that her gaze went right through me. Tundras have an excellent sense of smell and it felt like she could smell the lie. But I wouldn't admit to her that I loved Elfangor and wanted to be his first.

At least in the clan, I highly doubted he had remained celibate when he had run away.

"You're a horrible liar, sometimes." Metis said and broke eye contact with me. "You aren't being very 'logical'. I can't control which dragons you have breed this time around, just tell me when you find a pair for the third nest."

I nodded, glad that the Elfangor problem was dismissed. At least for now.
--------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment