Thursday, June 25, 2015

Elementary (Season 3)

Show: Elementary

Season: 3

Episodes: 24

Created By: Robert Doherty

Based On Sherlock Holmes Stories: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Released: 2014-2015

Rating: 3.5/6

Basic Plot: A modern take on the cases of Sherlock Holmes, with the detective now living in New York City.
------------------------------------------------------------

The Kitty Hate
Katherine "Kitty" Winter seems to have made certain fans angry this season. I don't see why as she was an enjoyable character that brought Joan and Sherlock back together. The pair of detectives seemed to grow closer as they 'adopted' her. Kitty, as her own character, goes through some interesting struggles. I can't remember when it's revealed what happened to her, so I won't say as I want to keep this review spoiler free as possible.

Sherlock's Drug Addiction
Sherlock is not fully recovered, though he would like to think so. This season him keeping sober is tested and I am glad. It wouldn't be very good television if you never saw a real sense of struggle in him. In our minds he has been built up as this total legend, but he is still very human deep down. And real humans will constantly struggle with their addictions.

Episodes are Usually Lackluster, Plots are Interesting
As per usual, most of the episodes this season aren't that special. Basically a lot of meh like usual. However, the plotlines are interesting as are the characters. That's why I have continued to watch this show. I like to see how Joan and Sherlock are doing each week. This season I liked seeing where Kitty would go as well as Sherlock having to deal with his own inner demons.

Final Thoughts
This season ended on a cliffhanger. It's not the most intense I've seen, but it made me rage that I'd have to wait until next season to see what would happen. I adored the explanation from Sherlock on why he's a detective as it's a highly selfish reason and so adds complexity to the character. Watson does her own cases and it's good to see her as her own strong character. She is much more than Sherlock's sidekick. If you liked the first two seasons, this one should please you too.

1 comment:

  1. kitty annoying winter was boring as hell up until her final episode. she nearly destroyed the dynamic of the show. i'm glad she's gone (hopefully forever)

    ReplyDelete