Friday, November 1, 2013

Inbetween: The Incredible Burp 3

We were all gathered in Cassie's barn. Tobias was in his look out spot where he could still listen in on the meeting. Ax was in his Andalite form but was prepared to morph human if the need arose. Everyone else was a human and so could be where they wanted to be. I was human but would have to hide if someone came around.

We all turned to Jake as he was the leader. From what I could gather from the others, him being the leader was because no one else wanted the position. I could be paraphrasing, but that's what I got.

"You acquired the raven and then morphed it when you didn't mean to?" Jake asked.

"Yes." I replied. "Ax said something like Hereth ilient?"

Hereth illint. Ax corrected.

"Isn't that what I had awhile back?" Rachel asked and I turned to her.

There was a lot I didn't know about the group. A lot I probably wouldn't know for a long time since I knew I was regarded with suspicion by most. I was the ticking time bomb that might go off any second and possibly succeed where David had failed.

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's where you have an allergic reaction to an animal's DNA." Rachel explained. "Until you burp out the DNA you start morphing uncontrollably."

"Yeah, Rachel did some damage to her house when she was-" Marco began but was silenced by the glare Rachel was giving him. I was saddened as it sounded like a funny story.

"When I had Hereth illint I morphed an elephant while I was home." Rachel explained, though I don't think that was the entire story.

"So I'll just start morphing at random?" I asked. Maybe because I got this illness I would be a danger to the group. Maybe being near them now wouldn't be a good thing.

You have to feel a strong emotion. Ax explained.

"My anger today." I said, not liking to talk about what had happened earlier. "After I got really angry I morphed into the raven."

"So it's like you're the Hulk but you turn into something non-threatening?" Marco joked and a smile started to form on my face.

"Hey, ravens can be dangerous." I fired back.

"Cassie?" He asked.

Instead of Cassie answering, Rachel interrupted by saying, "I'm more worried about you morphing into your battle morph."

"I can control the hyena." I told her and tried not feel anything for what I perceived as an insult.

I didn't like that the group was suspicious of me and hated them for that at times. But I really did care about them. I didn't want to hurt them and being emotionless wasn't my thing. I felt hatred for the Yeerks, isolation from everyone, and a lot of other emotions on top of that.

I wasn't safe for my fellow Animorphs right now.

"But if you let your guard down when you randomly morph then there might be consequences."

"Are you saying I'm a danger? That I can't control myself?" I tried to keep calm. "I didn't exactly fly away when I morphed a raven earlier."

Hereth illint can last a week. Ax replied. You might grow used to it.

"She won't grow used to it and lose control." Cassie said as she came to my defense. "Rachel didn't suddenly lose control of a morph."

"I was an Animorph a lot longer than her when I got Hereth illint." Rachel replied.

"And she was a Controller before she was an Animorph. There's a lot of strength in holding on as much as she did."

Rachel didn't argue with Cassie and just tried to avoid her friend's eyes. I admired Rachel for a lot of things, her strength among them. I didn't think I would ever reach the level she was at, but I was not weak.

After a few moments Rachel turned to me and said, "Cassie's right, you'll be fine. It'll be a little disturbing over the next few days, but at least you're just burping out a raven. I had to burp out a crocodile."

I found Rachel's attempt at comforting me nice, but I could tell she still thought she was superior. I would deal with that and I knew she would deal with her distrust of me the same way.

I didn't buy into Rachel's comfort, though, since I knew I could be a danger to the group. If there was even a minor mistake I could sentence the Animorphs to death. Or something far worse than that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inbetween tumblr
All of Inbetween: The Incredible Burp

No comments:

Post a Comment