Saturday, May 12, 2012

S&N: Being New 3

"Over there, Naz." Samara told me. I nodded, only to show her a reaction, and took the picture out of the trash. I spent the next thirty seconds erasing my damage.


"I thought you'd want to impress the investigation team." I replied after I finished. "I doubt you'll be with me by the time they leave. Besides, that is a terrible piece of art."


Samara stared at me and I took another look at the picture. I realized that the acid trip of a picture had been done by me. I had made it. Now I could do much better without putting much thought into the process. Though humans could argue if it would have as much depth to it.


"It surprises me how much you've changed." She said as she continued to clean up the kitchen. "I keep forgetting you're not human."


"I do have Nazilla's memories. I am her." I replied as I started to sweep the hallway.


"But having her memories doesn't make you her. Not by a long shot. Besides, even if you were an M-3 or lower, you don't think like a human does."


"We may not have the morality of a human, but we're not monsters. Hitler was a monster. He wasn't programmed to do what he did."


"He wasn't programmed the way a Machine is."


"And Machine Programming is much stronger than the urges of a human can ever be."


Samara turned to me and ran both hands down her sides and smiled at me.


"Not even sexual urges." I replied and found myself laughing.


"Then how were you able to free yourself?" Samara asked.


"A fault in the programming you could say."


"What was it like working for The Net?"


I paused to think. "There was no real feeling. I didn't like being controlled, but when I went on missions it was like an emotional barrier came up."


Samara looked me in the eyes. "I love you and I always will."


"I hope." I replied and she put a hand on my shoulder.


As I turned my head she sighed. "I wish they had given us more time." She said and went to open the door.


The four members of the investigation team walked in. I identified them as Mark, Rebecca, Martha, and Stewart.


"Welcome, Mark." I said and held out my hand. If anyone asked, I'd say I was greeting him because he was the leader. In truth, I didn't like the look he had given Samara.


He shook my hand and said nothing else except to introduce the team. Rebecca was wearing a t-shirt of a popular band and a suspicious expression directed at me. This expression was repeated on Martha's face. Though Rebecca's younger sister had a bit of pity mixed in.


Stewart was the only one with a nonchalant expression. I could see him becoming an Elemental one day. If not an Elemental, someone that served one directly.


"We're happy to help you." He said since Mark was double checking the safety of the house.


One thing was sure about them, just from my brief introduction to them, they didn't trust me. The only reassurance I had was Samara standing beside me.
-------------
S&N Blog aka Karma HQ

AND

S&N Paper aka War for the World

No comments:

Post a Comment