Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Dresden Files: Ghost Story (Jim Butcher)

Title: Ghost Story

Series: The Dresden Files

Author: Jim Butcher

Released: 2011

Rating: 6/5

Basic Plot: Harry Dresden, who has recently died, must go back to Chicago to find his killer. While he is in Chicago he realizes a lot has changed since he died.

Who Harry Dresden's Killer Is
The person who killed Harry and why it happened are very interesting to find out. I spent a minute or so in shock when I found out. However, the drawback of that is it makes the beginning of the book pretty pointless. That should make me hate the twist and the book, but it doesn't. The truth is, the Chicago Ghost Harry returns to is very pleasing to read about that it makes up for that flaw (though the changed Chicago will probably only really please long time fans of the book series).

How The Other Characters Change
The characters (besides Harry) get a very good change up. Those familiar with the series will be able to really see how good the changes to the characters are. My favorite one who changed was Karrin Murphy. As soon as she spoke one line of dialogue I could tell this wasn't the same character as the one in Changes. I thought she was possessed at first.

Harry Dresden Thinking About the Events in Changes
Harry spends a good deal looking back on his mistakes in Changes. Mainly about everything he risked to save his daughter (Maggie) and why things turned out poorly. I think this does count as a small growth in Harry's character as he has to take responsibility for his apprentice (Molly) becoming a psycho, Murphy becoming a much more hard hearted woman than before, and all the disaster he brought upon Chicago. He does come to peace by the end of the book, though.

Final Thoughts
This book is my favorite in the series so far. By the end of the book I was rushing through it (especially when Harry's killer is revealed). I would highly recommend this book to people that like fantasy/mystery books. The things brought up about the afterlife and ghosts are really neat. I bought this book hardcover and full price and I feel I got more than my money's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment