Friday, February 4, 2011

Dead Space: The Marker's Plan

I have not played Dead Space or Dead Space 2 but I have watched a Let's Play of the second one and watched my half-brother play the first Dead Space. I also have watched a Let's Play of Dead Space: Extraction. So I have been able to keep up with plot points and characters. My new favorite of the characters being Ellie from Dead Space 2.

A huge part of the Dead Space franchise is the Marker. It is the thing that turns people into space zombies. I mean: necromorphs. And in Dead Space 2 it is revealed that the Marker is part of an alien invasion plan.

There are three ways it affects people:
1.) It'll turn them into necromorphs at which point they'll start killing anything in sight.

2.) It'll send out a signal to 'smart people' that will make them 'hear' how to make a Marker. It may also cause these types to go totally psychotic. Sometimes both.

3.) It'll have no effect. Sometimes these people can provide protection from the Marker's signal and sometimes they don't (the latter is up to debate as it seems Ellie isn't affected by the Marker but doesn't keep Stross from going absolutely bat-shit insane).

In Dead Space 2 it is revealed that Isaac Clarke (after the events in the first Dead Space) helped build Markers (but he wasn't entirely sane when he did so) and so the Marker needed Clarke to converge with the Marker. However, throughout Dead Space 2, Clarke is constantly being attacked by necromorphs.

Couldn't the Marker control its creatures enough to not attack the person it needs to converge with it? Where is the logic in that. I don't get it. I really don't. I know in the game itself, you need enemies to attack. But, when looked at from a logical point of view, it doesn't make sense.

I don't expect this plot point to be solved and, really, it's just a small part. But it really stuck out at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment