This is a Skyrim/Alan Wake 2 fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.
This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.
JASH
I watched as a group of my men sparred with each other. Their motions were fluid and the experience they had with one another was evident. My claws picked at my food before lazily bringing it to my mouth.
One of my men fell down to signal they had given up and I swallowed the meat. We had had a good hunt the other day which brought us things we hadn’t eaten for many a month.
“If you’re going to take your time, Jash, I’ll just have the rest of your ribs.” Tim teased.
I smirked and put a protective hand over my ribs. A sounder had passed by our camp and some of my better hunters were able to get a sizable chunk of rations.
We were currently perched on a log with barrels serving as tables. The sun soaked heat into my black scales and it seemed that this weather was pleasant for the two dryskins seated on either side of me.
“If you steal his ribs, he could steal yours back as payment.” Sissel said as she drank her wine. “He would be kind enough to heal you, Tim.”
“What about you healing me, Sissel?” Tim asked and acted scared.
My Consort’s only response to that was to smirk and continue drinking her wine.
The comforting air was taken away from the moment when my men stopped their practice. I, along with the two dryskins with me, turned to see what had caused my men to pause.
An Imperial Courier flanked by five men quickly came into view. My heart beat fast as if she had come then a foul fate had fallen upon Ah-Malz. He was not one to send people to speak for him unless an extreme situation called for him to break his pride.
I stood up once the Imperial Courier stood a few feet from me.
“I have a message for you, General Jash Telvanni.” The Courier said and then looked at Sissel. “It is also intended for Sissel of Rorikstead, your second in Command. No one else is to hear it.”
Tim started to get up but I shook my head and he remained seated. It was his to be close enough to me that secret information of mine would also be his.
“Tim Breaker may hear this.” I told the Courier. “He is a close friend of mine that has proven himself to me.”
I looked to my men and waved them away. They might be far enough away not to hear but I wouldn’t take chances. Only a few remained far enough away so they wouldn’t hear the Courier but be near enough in case this was a trap.
It was unlikely that the Imperial Courier would betray me so but in a war you couldn’t take chances. While she wouldn’t be able to kill me even if that was her goal, I would be removed from my camp long enough for her to do some damage to my men.
“Ah-Malz and his Argonian men attacked Fort Talos.” The Courier read from the letter. “His rebellion was quickly snuffed out and none of the survivors have been let free. The Empire requests that you still join the battle even though Ah-Malz won’t be by your side.”
“Fort Talos was made to be a symbol of peace between dryskins and Saxhleel.” I explained to Tim.
Tim nodded and I turned my attention back to the Courier.
“I know Ah-Malz.” I said. “It is his to only attack with a good reason. He would not endanger the war against the Thalmor simply because he needed to taste dryskin blood.”
“I’m sorry, General, but I have no more information to give.” The woman apologized.
“Courier, you may stay in camp until the morning. At dawn I will have a message for you to take to those attending the battle that shall include whether I shall be making my way to Fort Talos or not.”
I sat back down and signaled to one of my men to get cold for the Courier. The Courier and her guards bowed before walking away.
“Kaoc.” I hissed. “It will not be ours to soak in Thalmor blood as was our orders.”
“How far away is Fort Talos?” Tim asked.
“Far enough away that we can either slaughter Thalmor or see what happened at the Fort.”
“Do you think something happened or are you just curious?”
“Dryskins and my race do not get along easily. My race has been enslaved by every race on Tamriel. That is why Fort Talos is so important as a symbol.”
I focused on my breathing. In. Out. It wouldn’t do to use the By My Soul Shout as it could scare the rest of my men as well as alerting any enemies nearby. While we had camped in a large open field, the thick forest surrounding it protected us from easy detection. We were also out of the way of all the major battles so there would be no reason for Thalmor to come near us. But I would not disregard caution because of my worry.
“War does a strange thing to people.” I said. “It brings out the worst in them. This war has been no different. It could be that dryskins decided to fight against Saxhleel for no other reason than past hatred.”
I grabbed my ribs and bit into the bones. They shattered and pieces of bone went flying into the distance. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a shocked look on Tim’s face.
“As a General of the Imperial Army, it is ours to control ourselves, Tim.” I reassured the dryskin. “So at Fort Talos I shall not make the first move of aggression. But if peace does not work I will demand blood.”

No comments:
Post a Comment